ستيرلنغ كاسل غيت هاوس

ستيرلنغ كاسل غيت هاوس


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


عقد مفتاح اسكتلندا

انضم إلينا في عطلة نهاية هذا الأسبوع ونحن نسافر بالزمن إلى الوراء إلى عام 1651 ونختبر الحياة تحت الحصار ، ونعيش مجددًا آخر مرة سقطت فيها قلعة "ستيرلنغ" في أيدي أحد الأعداء.

لقد قيل على مر القرون "أن عقد ستيرلنغ كان هو الإمساك بمفتاح اسكتلندا". في نهاية هذا الأسبوع (24 و 25 سبتمبر) ستتاح لزوار قلعة "ستيرلنغ" الفرصة لاكتشاف مدى صحة ذلك عندما نسافر بالزمن إلى الوراء إلى عام 1651 ونختبر الحياة تحت الحصار ، ونحيا آخر مرة سقطت فيها قلعة "ستيرلنغ" في أيدي العدو.

غزا جيش برلماني إنجليزي بقيادة أوليفر كرومويل بعد التتويج الاسكتلندي لتشارلز الثاني. أرسل كرومويل مفرزة لمحاصرة قلعة ستيرلنغ. قصفت المدافع الثقيلة في البلدة القلعة. أفاد اللواء جورج مونك ، الذي قاد الإنجليز ، أن الأسكتلنديين استسلموا في غضون يوم واحد من الهجوم.

كان الهواء يصرخ بكرات المدفع وكرات المسكيت. أطلق أحد النيران على القلعة من برج كنيسة Holy Rude على الجانب الآخر من المقبرة. في الواقع ، لا تزال ندوب المعركة ظاهرة حتى اليوم - على الأعمال الأولية للقلعة ، وبوابة الحراسة ، وبقايا الأبراج المدمرة. وبالمثل حُفر برج الكنيسة. أظهر الهجوم مدى تقادم دفاعات القلعة في العصور الوسطى في مواجهة المدفعية الحديثة.

سُمح للحامية الاسكتلندية بالخروج بأسلحتها قبل أن يدخل الإنجليز.

في تطور غريب من القدر ، تم نقل سجلات اسكتلندا (المحفوظات الوطنية فعليًا) إلى القلعة في مواجهة الغزو الإنجليزي وكانت من بين الغنائم التي أخذها جنود مونك وشحنها إلى لندن. ومن المفارقات أن مونك ساعد تشارلز الثاني في استعادة العرش البريطاني في عام 1660. وبعد ذلك بوقت قصير ، أمر الملك بإعادة المحفوظات ، لكن إحدى السفن التي تحمل السجلات غرقت في عاصفة. ضاع معها الكثير من تراث اسكتلندا المكتوب.

سيتم غمر الزوار في جميع الدراما بما في ذلك نيران المدافع والبنادق ، مظاهرات الأسلحة ، التدريبات ، والاستعراضات. ستكون هناك أيضًا فرصة للتعرف على تاريخ الفترة والاستماع إلى قصة الحصار.

سيكون هناك عرض أزياء في القرن السابع عشر حول فستان تلك الفترة وكيف تطورت. قابل المدافعين وشاهد الجراح وهو يحاول إبقاء الناس على قيد الحياة ويمكن للأطفال صنع أكواب في نشاطنا الحرفي.

انضم إلينا في نهاية هذا الأسبوع من أجل عقد Key to Scotland من الساعة 12 ظهرًا حتى الساعة 4 مساءً وتأكد من مشاركة صورك! تضمين التغريدة


قلعة ستيرلنغ ، سبب معركة بانوكبيرن

يعرف أي شخص لديه اهتمام غامض بالتاريخ الاسكتلندي أن "ستيرلنغ" لديها قلعة. إنه أحد المعالم الأكثر وضوحًا في جميع أنحاء البلاد ، وقد تم بناؤه على قمة نتوء صخري بركاني يطل على السهول الفيضية لنهر فورث. أصبح أكثر وضوحًا من خلال إعادة طلاء القاعة الكبرى باللون الأصفر الذهبي الباهت ، يكاد يكون من المستحيل تفويتها في الطقس الجيد ، على الرغم من أن الضباب المنتظم الذي يملأ الوادي يخفيه أحيانًا.

الجسر في "ستيرلنغ" الذي يعبر الرابع هو نقطة عبور قديمة. في اتجاه مجرى النهر ، تم تجفيف السهول الفيضية على نطاق واسع ، ولكنها اعتادت أن تكون متاهة معقدة من الأهوار والحروق التي كان من المستحيل المرور بها إلا في فترات الجفاف الأكثر جفافاً. بحلول الوقت الذي تراجعت فيه المستنقعات ، أصبح النهر واسعًا بما يكفي ليحتاج إلى عبّارة للعبور. في "ستيرلنغ" كانت النقطة الأولى التي يستطيع فيها الجيش عبور النهر سيرًا على الأقدام.

كان لا بد من الدفاع عن مثل هذا الموقع الاستراتيجي ، وفي "ستيرلنغ" تم وضع النتوء الصخري في مكان مثالي لبناء معقل. كان أقدم سجل لقلعة في ستيرلنغ في عام 1110 ، عندما تم تكريس كنيسة صغيرة في القلعة من قبل الملك ألكسندر الأول. من فايف وأنجوس وبيرثشاير. كانت لوثيان إلى الجنوب ، مع القلعة في إدنبرة ، مقاطعة حدودية كانت حتى وقت قريب تحت سيطرة إيرلز نورثمبريا. مملكة ستراثكلايد إلى الجنوب الغربي مع القلعة في دمبارتون ، تم احتلالها فقط خلال القرن الحادي عشر. لذلك تم وضع "ستيرلنغ" ليس فقط عند معبر نهر ، ولكن على حدود المملكة

من غير المتصور أن الإسكندر كان أول ملك اسكتلندي يمتلك قلعة في ستيرلنغ ، وربما كان الموقع موقعًا لمستوطنة محصنة تعود إلى العصر الحديدي. ومع ذلك ، فقد أدت قرون من إعادة التطوير المتتالية للموقع إلى تدمير أي دليل على هذه المراحل السابقة. بحلول وقت الإسكندر ، يمكننا أن نتخيل قلعة اسكتلندية بأسلوب ، مع أعمال ترابية وجدار حجري للدفاع عن الوصول إلى القمة ، ربما مع حاجز خشبي حول بقية المحيط ، على الرغم من أن هذا قد يكون أيضًا في الحجر. من المحتمل أن تكون المباني من الخشب ضمن الدفاعات. من شبه المؤكد أنه كان هناك العديد من الخنادق والبنوك للعبور قبل الوصول إلى الدفاع الأساسي & # 8211 الجدار الحجري ، مع مدخل واحد ربما لم يكن أكثر تعقيدًا من بوابة محظورة بشدة.

تحت حكم الإسكندر ، مُنحت الأراضي الواقعة إلى الجنوب لأخيه الأصغر ديفيد ليحكمها ، مما يعني أن "ستيرلنغ" كانت لا تزال على حافة ما اعتبره الملك همه الأساسي. ومع ذلك ، كان لا يزال موقعًا ذا أهمية إستراتيجية كبيرة ، وفي ستيرلنغ توفي الإسكندر عام 1124. ربما كان ينوي مقابلة ديفيد لأنه قضى معظم وقته في الشمال. كان داود هو من سيخلفه ، ومن المرجح أن القلعة قد تعززت في عهد الملك داود. على الرغم من أنه غالبًا ما يُذكر على أنه باني البيوت الدينية والأديرة وما شابه ذلك ، فقد كان مسؤولاً أيضًا عن العديد من القلاع ، بما في ذلك عاصمته الجديدة في روكسبيرغ وحتى كارلايل في إنجلترا.

نما ديفيد إلى مرحلة الرجولة في بلاط الملك هنري الأول ، وكان مدركًا تمامًا للتقدم التقني الذي تم إحرازه في تصميم القلعة من قبل الملوك الأنجلو نورمان. من المحتمل أنه كان سيبني أبراجًا دفاعية على الجدار الرئيسي إذا لم يكن هناك أي منها سابقًا ، وحسن المدخل المسور من خلال بناء بوابة حراسة مزدوجة البرج. بالتأكيد بما أن القلعة أصبحت مركزًا ملكيًا مهمًا ، ومع تطور المدينة باعتبارها برجًا ملكيًا ، فقد تضاعفت المباني المحلية المصنوعة من الحجر داخل الفناء. من الممكن أن يكون قد تم بناء سور من الحجر في عهد داود ، وأن مناطق بيلي الخارجية قد أُنشئت.

تم قطع فترة حكم ديفيد التي استمرت 29 عامًا (1124-1153) من قبل ثلاث حركات تمرد على الأقل ، بدأت اثنتان منها في مقاطعة موراي الشمالية وواحدة في كمبريا ، والتي كان يشغلها كإقطاعية لهنري الأول. الحرب في إنجلترا بين أنصار الملك ستيفن والإمبراطورة ماتيلدا ، لكن جميع المعارك دارت في إنجلترا. على هذا النحو ، لم تشارك قلعة "ستيرلنغ" في الحرب خلال فترة حكمه.

في عهد حفيده مالكولم الرابع ، حدثت ثورات مرة أخرى في الشمال ، ورافقها حرب مع سومرليد من الجزر ، الذي كان غير راضٍ عن زيادة نفوذ الحكام في باروني رينفرو على مقربة من الجنوب- غرب. ومع ذلك ، بقيت ستيرلنغ مرة أخرى غير متورطة في القتال نفسه ، والذي كان سومرليد حريصًا على خوضه ضد ستيواردز ، وليس الملك مالكولم ، شابًا وعديم الخبرة رغم أنه كان كذلك. وقع تمرد آخر من الإيرل بالقرب من بيرث ، ولكن تم حله دون إراقة دماء.

كان على الملك هنري الثاني ملك إنجلترا أن يغير جذريًا العلاقة بين المملكتين ، وأهمية "ستيرلنغ". لم يعتبر أنه من السياسي أن يكون ملك دولة مجاورة يسيطر على المقاطعتين الحدوديتين كمبريا ونورثمبرلاند (كان ديفيد قد احتفظ بهما) ، وكان في وضع يسمح له بإزالة كمبريا من السيطرة الاسكتلندية على الفور. نورثمبرلاند ، التي ورثها مالكولم عن والدته ، تم استبدالها بأراضي واسعة في الجنوب. وبضربة واحدة ، قام هنري بتحريك حدود النفوذ الاسكتلندي لمسافة مائة ميل شمالاً. أبهر مالكولم وسيطر عليه في السنوات الأولى من حكمه ، ومع ذلك حافظ هنري على سلام مع اسكتلندا. أصبحت "ستيرلنغ" القلعة الرئيسية في الدفاع عن معاقل اسكتلندا من العدوان الإنجليزي ، على الرغم من أن مالكولم لم يعيش طويلاً بما يكفي لاكتشاف ذلك.

خدم مالكولم في جيش هنري ، وأصبح مريضًا في دونكاستر عام 1163 ، ولم يتمكن من التعافي ، وتوفي عام 1165 ليخلفه أخوه الأصغر المتهور ويليام. رأى ويليام إزالة ما كان قد نشأ معتقدًا أنه ميراثه في نورثمبرلاند من بين قبضته ، وكان مصمماً على استعادته في معظم فترات حكمه ، عن طريق العدوان إذا لزم الأمر. لسوء الحظ ، تم القبض على ويليام من قبل الغزو الإنجليزي نورثمبريا في يوليو 1173 ، وتمرد دعمًا لابن هنري الأكبر. احتُجز في سجن فاليز ، وأُجبر على التنازل عن السيطرة على القلاع الملكية في بيرويك ، وجيدبرج ، وروكسبرج ، وإدنبرة ، وستيرلنغ إلى هنري.

في أغسطس 1175 ، أقسم ويليام الولاء لهنري لمملكة اسكتلندا ، على الرغم من أن اسكتلندا كانت لا تزال تعتبر مملكة منفصلة. ليس من الواضح ما إذا كانت القوات الإنجليزية والقادة الإنجليز قد قاموا بالفعل بتحصين ستيرلنغ والقلاع الأخرى ، ولكن ربما تمت إعادة القادة الاسكتلنديين إلى مناصبهم بعد ذلك. في عام 1189 ، ألغى الملك ريتشارد معاهدة فاليز ، مما يعني أن ويليام كان يسيطر على قلاعه مرة أخرى ، وفي مقابل مبلغ كبير من المال ، استقال ريتشارد من المطالبة بحقوقه في ولاء ويليام لاسكتلندا. لقد تغيرت يد "ستيرلنغ" مرتين & # 8211 في كل مرة بضربة قلم.

ظل ويليام ملكًا حتى عام 1214 ، حيث عانى خلال هذه الفترة من عدة تمردات ضد حكمه في الشمال ، بالإضافة إلى استمراره في محاولة استعادة الأراضي في نورثمبرلاند. ظلت العلاقات مع إنجلترا مستقرة طوال فترة حكم ريتشارد الأول ، ولسنوات عديدة في عهد الملك جون ، وكلاهما أراد الاستقرار في الشمال للتركيز على الأمور في أماكن أخرى ، ولكن في عام 1209 تسبب ويليام في مشكلة عندما أحرق قلعة إنجليزية يتم بناؤها عبر نهر تويد مقابل قلعته الخاصة في بيرويك. استعدادًا للانتقام ، وضع قلاعه في حالة استعداد ، بما في ذلك ستيرلنغ.

اعتبر جون هذا عملاً من أعمال الحرب ، وعندما استجاب بقوة ، سعى ويليام وحقق السلام ، مما أدى إلى معاهدة نورهام. أدت الثورات في الشمال في عامي 1210 و 1211 إلى أن ويليام طلب المساعدة المالية من الملك جون ، الذي كان سعيدًا بتقديمها. نفذ نواب ويليام حملات ضد متمرديه ، وربما كان ويليام قد فشل في صحته لأن الملكة ووريثها الإسكندر كان ينفذ العديد من واجباته. في عام 1214 ، بعد أن عاد مؤخرًا من الشمال ، توفي ويليام في ستيرلنغ. لم يكن جون قادرًا على الاستفادة من الموقف من خلال السيطرة على الملك الشاب ، حيث كان يعاني من تمرد من قبل أباطرته ، وغزا الإسكندر الشاب إنجلترا عام 1215.

بعد وفاة الملك جون عام 1216 ، وانضمام ابنه الطفل هنري الثالث ، ظلت اسكتلندا في سلام مع إنجلترا لبقية عهد الإسكندر الثاني (1214-1249) وابنه ألكسندر الثالث (1249-1286) . بعد أكثر من 150 عامًا من الصراع ، تم إخماد التمرد الشمالي الأخير ضد الحكم الملكي بلا رحمة من قبل نواب الإسكندر الثاني ، وتم إعدام آخر فرد من العائلة خلفهم ، ماكويليامز ، في فورفار. لسوء مصداقية الإسكندر ، كانت هذه طفلة ، تم تحطيم رأسها علانية ضد صليب السوق. وقعت حركات تمرد أصغر في الجنوب الغربي والشمال الأقصى ، لكنها لم تكن على نفس النطاق ، ولم يشارك أي منها في ستيرلنغ.

من المؤكد أن قلعة "ستيرلنغ" الملكية قد تم توسيعها وتطويرها خلال عهدي الإسكندر الثاني والكسندر الثالث ، لكننا ، للأسف ، ليس لدينا فكرة كبيرة عن الشكل الذي كانت ستتخذه هذه التعديلات بشكل دفاعي. داخليًا ، كان من الممكن توسيع المباني المحلية ، وتصبح أكثر روعة - مباني تستحق البلاط الملكي في العصور الوسطى. مع وفاة الإسكندر الثالث المبكرة ، كانت وريثة العرش ابنته ملكة النرويج. تم إبرام صفقة مع الملك هاكون ، وأرسلت ابنتهما الرضيعة مارجريت إلى اسكتلندا لتتوج. لسوء الحظ ، ماتت بعد وقت قصير من هبوطها في اسكتلندا ، ولم تترك خلفًا واضحًا للتاج.

تحول نبلاء اسكتلندا إلى جارهم القوي في الجنوب. اشتهر الملك إدوارد الأول ملك إنجلترا في جميع أنحاء أوروبا بأنه صليبي ومشرع ، وعلى الرغم من أنه شارك في حروب في فرنسا وويلز ، إلا أن هذه لم تكن تخص اللوردات الاسكتلنديين ، الذين خدموا في جيوشه أثناء احتفاظهم بأراضي في إنجلترا ، مثل وكذلك التاج أثناء الحروب الأهلية الإنجليزية من 1263-1265. عندما طالب إدوارد بتسليم القلاع الملكية بما في ذلك ستيرلنغ ، اعتبروا هذا المعرض ، لأنه يمكن أن يضمن أمن العالم. الفصائل التي تدعي العرش يمكن أن تنزلق بسهولة إلى حرب أهلية ، وكان من الحكمة منع وقوع هذه القلاع في أيدي مثل هذا الفصيل. في 13 يونيو 1291 ، أرسل إدوارد خطابًا من نورهام يأمره بأن يقوم شريف ستيرلنغ ، باتريك جراهام ، بتسليم "شاستل دي ستريفلين" إلى الفارس الإنجليزي نورمان دارسي.

عندما أعلن أن جون باليول هو الخليفة الصحيح ، سلم إدوارد القلاع إليه ، وفي نوفمبر 1292 تلقى دارسي أجره من جراهام ، وغادر قلعة ستيرلنغ ، على الأرجح في نفس الوقت تقريبًا مع تتويج باليول في نهاية ذلك الشهر . ومع ذلك ، فقد كان يُنظر إليه على أنه نوع أقل من الملك ، حيث تم اختياره من قبل محكمة يرأسها ملك إنجلترا ، وضد رغبات فصيل قوي آخر في المملكة ، وهو روبرت بروس من أنانديل. ونتيجة لذلك ، في ديسمبر ، مثل الملك جون أمام محكمة إدوارد في نيوكاسل ، وأصبح مسؤول إدوارد في مملكة اسكتلندا. في حين أن هذا يؤمن دعم إدوارد للملك جون ضد الفصائل الأخرى ، إلا أنه يعني أيضًا أن إدوارد كان قادرًا على التدخل في إدارة اسكتلندا.

استدعى الملك جون للمثول أمام محكمة إنجليزية لشرح سلوكه في دعوى قضائية تتعلق بـ Earldom of Fife ، ورفض الملك جون الحضور بدعم من الفصيل الموالي. أحضر إدوارد جيشًا شمالًا لاستدعاء جون للمهمة ، بدعم من فصيل بروس المعارض. كانت النتيجة النهائية هي معركة دنبار ، والتي كانت هزيمة مؤكدة للاسكتلنديين. وكان من بين القتلى في ساحة المعركة باتريك جراهام ، شريف ستيرلنغ وحارس القلعة. بعد عشرة أسابيع ، أُجبر الملك جون على التنازل عن العرش ، وأرسل إلى برج لندن كسجين لإدوارد. وجدت الجيوش الإنجليزية أن قلعة ستيرلنغ مهجورة ، وتم إنشاء حامية ، مما مكن الجيوش الإنجليزية من عبور الرابع كما تشاء. كانت هذه هي المرة الأولى التي يبدو فيها أن قلعة "ستيرلنغ" متورطة في الحرب ، وقد تم الاستيلاء عليها دون إراقة قطرة دم في الدفاع عنها.

سيطر إدوارد بالكامل على اسكتلندا في عام 1296 ، واتضح لبعض الأقطاب الاسكتلندية أن مصالحهم كانت مهددة ، مما أدى إلى تمردات متفرقة ، كان رئيسها في موراي وكليديسدال. كانت الثورة الشمالية هي الأعظم ، حيث قادها أندرو دي مورافيا ، أحد أقوى اللوردات في الشمال. كانت الثورة الجنوبية أقل انتشارًا ، بقيادة وليام دوغلاس ، اللورد الأصغر. حاول الحصول على دعم ستيوارد ، الذي حاول بدوره تجنيد روبرت بروس ، إيرل كاريك ، الذي كانت عائلته المنافسين الرئيسيين لمطالبة باليول بالعرش ، في القضية.

تلاشت الثورة الجنوبية ، مع مواجهة بروس وستيوارد لقوات إنجليزية أكبر ، والتفاوض على تسوية تضمنت اعتقال دوغلاس. في الشمال ، حافظت الثورة على زخمها ، حيث أرسل إدوارد اللوردات الاسكتلنديين لإخمادها ، والذين فشلوا بشكل واضح في القيام بذلك. ومع ذلك ، كان من المفترض أن يكون الإنجليز في الجنوب تحت قيادة إيرل سوري ، ويليام دي واررين ، الذي كان مترددًا في تولي منصبه كحاكم لاسكتلندا ، مما سمح لبقايا المتمردين الجنوبيين تحت قيادة ويليام والاس. توحد مع القوات الشمالية.

اتخذ المتمردون تحت قيادة والاس ودي مورافيا موقعًا حول قاعدة دير كريج ، بالقرب من موقع نصب والاس التذكاري في 11 سبتمبر 1297. كان هذا هو الجانب الآخر من القلعة إلى قلعة ستيرلنغ ، وبعد مفاوضات فاشلة ، ساري أرسل رجاله عبر الجسر للاشتباك مع المتمردين. بمجرد عبور الطليعة ، هاجم الاسكتلنديون وقطعوها إلى أشلاء. لم يتمكن الجيش الرئيسي من عبور الجسر بسرعة كافية للمساعدة ، وهرب ساري ، وطاردهم ستيوارد واسكتلنديون آخرون غيروا مواقفهم على الفور.

استعدت الحامية الإنجليزية المتبقية ، تحت قيادة السير ويليام فيتزوارين والسير مارمادوك توينج ، للحصار. ومع ذلك ، لم يكن لديهم الإمدادات اللازمة ، واضطروا إلى الاستسلام. تم إرسال FitzWarin و Tweng إلى قلعة Dumbarton ، حيث تم احتجازهم ، واحتجزت القوات الاسكتلندية قلعة Stirling مرة أخرى.

بعد وفاة أندرو دي مورافيا في نوفمبر 1297 ، كان ويليام والاس القائد العسكري الواضح للتمرد ، وحصل على لقب فارس وتم تعيينه حارسًا للمملكة. في يوليو 1298 ، قاد جيشا إلى معركة في فالكيرك ، على أمل تكرار انتصاره في العام السابق. كان الوضع مختلفًا تمامًا. كان الجيش الذي واجهه في فالكيرك هو القوة العسكرية الكاملة لإنجلترا ، ولم يقسمها نهر وجسر عنق الزجاجة ، ويقودها الملك شخصيًا. لم يكن من المحتمل أن يصاب إدوارد بالذعر ويغادر الميدان ، وكان قائد معركة ذو خبرة كبيرة. فر سلاح الفرسان الاسكتلندي ، الذي فاق عددهم بشكل كبير ، من الميدان ، تاركين المشاة في مواجهة أمطار مدمرة من السهام. بمجرد أن اعتبر إدوارد أن عددًا كافيًا من المشاة قد قُتل ، أرسل سلاح الفرسان الخاص به ، ليهزم الأسكتلنديين الباقين.

انهار التمرد الاسكتلندي ، وترك القائد المجهول لقلعة ستيرلنغ ، على بعد 17 ميلاً فقط ، القلعة ، مما سمح للإنجليز باحتلالها للمرة الثانية دون أي جهد. من المحتمل أن تكون القوات الاسكتلندية قد حاولت بالفعل إهانة القلعة ، حيث من المعروف أن إدوارد الأول قد أنفق أموالًا على "ستيرلنغ" ، على الرغم من أن هذه ربما كانت تعزز الأعمال. على الرغم من أنه أراد متابعة المعركة بحملة في عام 1299 ، إلا أن القضايا المحلية حالت دون ذلك ، وسمح للاسكتلنديين بالتعافي.

كانت ستيرلنغ واحدة من الأهداف الرئيسية ، ووضعت تحت الحصار ، مع حصار حوالي 90 رجلاً في الداخل. في محاولة يائسة لتخفيف القلعة ، وعلى عكس رغبات أباطرته ، قرر إدوارد شن حملة شتوية ، واستدعاء الرجال إلى بيرويك في منتصف ديسمبر. لم يكن إدوارد قادرًا على دفع رواتب القلة الذين حضروا ، وهجر معظمهم. عرض الأسكتلنديون المعركة ، لكن إدوارد لم يكن لديه عدد كافٍ من الرجال ، واضطر إلى التراجع ، تاركًا ستيرلنغ لتقع في يد الاسكتلنديين مرة أخرى.

سقط ستيرلنغ بينما اندلع التمرد في الجنوب الغربي ، بقيادة روبرت بروس ، وهنا شن إدوارد حملته عام 1300. أدى نقص الأموال والإمدادات ، مصحوبًا بمطالب من قبل أنصاره الاسكتلنديين لمنحهم العقارات التي يحتفظ بها بروس ، إلى توقف الحملة ، ووافق إدوارد على الهدنة. شهد عام 1301 غزو جيشين ، لكن الاسكتلنديين تجنبوا المواجهة. بعد الاستيلاء على قلعة بوثويل ، أصدر إدوارد مبلغًا مقابل نقل معدات الحصار إلى ستيرلنغ ، موضحًا أنه لا يزال يرغب في استعادتها ، لكن الأوان كان قد فات في الموسم ، ونفد المال مرة أخرى ، وبدأت القوات في الفرار. . على الرغم من أن إدوارد من الواضح أنه لم يفقد شهيته لهزيمة الاسكتلنديين ، إلا أن وضعه المالي كان صعبًا ، إلا أنه كان يتعرض لضغوط من قبل البابا لوقف القتال ، وفي يناير 1302 ، وافق على هدنة طوال ذلك العام. ظل مسيطراً على جنوب اسكتلندا ، لكنه كان يخطط لحملة كبرى لـ 1303.

لتجنب ستيرلنغ تمامًا ، بنى إدوارد جسرًا عائمًا عبر فورث ، وسار بجيشه إلى فايف. سار بسرعة حول الساحل الشرقي وعبر موراي ، نجح في السيطرة على معظم البلاد ، وفي نهاية ذلك العام فقط قلعة ستيرلنغ كانت تحت سيطرة الاسكتلنديين. في أبريل 1304 ، وصل إدوارد بجيشه ومعدات الحصار ، بعد أن حصل على حكم من برلمانه بأن المدافعين عن القلعة سيعتبرون خارجين عن القانون.

كان السير وليام أوليفانت هو المدافع ، وفي المفاوضات في بداية الحصار ، طلب استشارة رئيسه ، جون دي سوليس ، حول ما إذا كان يجب أن يستسلم أم لا. نظرًا لأن دي سوليس كان في فرنسا في ذلك الوقت ، لم يكن هذا معقولًا بشكل خاص ، وتم رفض طلبه. ثم حاول أوليفانت تبرير تحديه بالقول إنه لم يقسم شخصيًا على الولاء لإدوارد ، لكن إدوارد لم يكن مهتمًا ، وبدأ الحصار. وهزم إيرل هيرفورد ورجاله محاولة واحدة لتخفيف القلعة من قبل الاسكتلنديين.

تحت القصف من 17 محركات الحصار ، لجأ العديد من المدافعين الاسكتلنديين إلى داخل الكهوف أسفل القلعة ، حيث تم تخزين موادهم. في محاولة منه للحفاظ على الروح المعنوية لقواته ، غالبًا ما اقترب إدوارد من جدران القلعة بالقرب من حصانه ، وكاد يتأذى مرتين ، مرة واحدة عندما مر صاعقة قوسية من خلال ملابسه في سرجه ، وفي مناسبة أخرى تم إلقاؤها بجوار حصانه عندما سقط حجر بالقرب منه.

ثبت أن الكبش المضرب غير فعال ، ولكن في النهاية وافق أوليفانت على تسليم القلعة في 20 يوليو. أراد إدوارد تجربة محرك الحصار الجديد شبه المكتمل ، "Warwolf" ، ومع ذلك ، ولم يستطع استخدامه إذا وافق على الاستسلام ، لذلك رفض السماح بالاستسلام حتى يختبره ، رافضًا السماح لأي شخص يغادر. بمجرد أن تمت تجربته بما يرضي الملك ، مما أدى إلى تدمير بوابة الحراسة ، سُمح للحامية بالاستسلام ، واكتمل غزو اسكتلندا.

لم يكن الوضع أن يستمر. كان إدوارد مسنًا ، وأصبح يشعر بالمرارة تجاه الأسكتلنديين الذين رآهم خونة ، وبصرف النظر عن المحاكمة الاستعراضية والإعدام العلني لوليام والاس في عام 1305 ، كان العديد من النبلاء الآخرين متوترين للغاية. قرر إدوارد ، كما فعل في ويلز ، مراجعة قانون السكان الأصليين ، وإزالة القوانين التي لم تعجبه واستبدالها بقوانين إنجليزية. كان من المقرر أن يصبح جون من بريتاني ، ابن شقيق الملك ، ملازمًا ملكيًا ، وكان من المقرر أن تختفي مكانة المملكة تمامًا. تم وضع خطط لبديل.

في يناير 1306 ، قتل روبرت بروس جون كومين ، زعيم الفصيل المعارض في دومفريز. بعد أن أدرك بروس أنه سيتسبب في غضب إدواردز ، قاد تمردًا ضده ، واستولى على عدد صغير من القلاع بحلول شهر مارس. كان الدعم مشتتًا ، وكان الأقوى حول جلاسكو ، لكن لم يكن هناك تهديد عسكري خطير ، على ما يبدو. ومع ذلك ، بحلول نهاية شهر مارس ، تم تتويج بروس باعتباره الملك روبرت الأول سافر إدوارد شمالًا ، وأصاب نفسه بمرض خطير في ذلك الصيف ، وبعد موسم غير محدد من الحملات ، أقام مقره الشتوي في Lanercost Priory.

في الموسم التالي ، لم يتمكن روبرت بروس من الحصول على دعم شعبي ، لكنه نجح في هزيمة الإنجليز في العاشر من مايو في معركة صغيرة في لودون هيل ، وهي أول هزيمة إنجليزية منذ جسر ستيرلنغ. أدى هذا إلى تحسن في الروح المعنوية الاسكتلندية ، وانخفاض مماثل في معنويات اللغة الإنجليزية. لم يساعد ذلك عندما توفي إدوارد في السابع من يوليو ، وتوجه الملك الجديد إدوارد الثاني جنوبًا ليتوج ، تاركًا بروس للتعامل مع خصومه المحليين ، الكومينز. ترك الإنجليز في "ستيرلنغ" والقلاع الأخرى ، وسار شمالاً وبدأ عملية توحيد أكبر قدر ممكن من البلاد خلفه - بينما سنحت له الفرصة.

كان من المقرر أن يعود إدوارد الثاني إلى اسكتلندا بثلاث سنوات ، وهو الوقت الذي استخدمه بروس لتحقيق نتائج جيدة. ظلت الحاميات في القلاع الجنوبية إنجليزية ، حيث لم يكن لدى بروس الموارد اللازمة لمحاصرتها ، وكان من السهل أن تأتي الإغاثة من إنجلترا. وبالمقارنة ، حوصر أولئك الموجودون في الشمال وأخذوا ودُمروا ، بحيث لا يمكن احتجازهم ضد بروس. في الواقع ، لم يبذل بروس أي جهد لتأمين جزء كبير من الجنوب ، ولم يكلف نفسه عناء استدعاء أسياده إلى برلماناته. بحلول عام 1310 ، كان بروس يتجاهل علنًا الهدنة مع إنجلترا ، مستفزًا أراضي الموالين للملك الإنجليزي ، وكان هذا الإجراء هو الذي تسبب في غزو إدوارد ، وهي محاولة ضعيفة انتهت بالتراجع إلى بيرويك عندما رفض العديد من باروناته للخدمة جنبًا إلى جنب مع الملك المفضل بيرس جافستون.

في عام 1133 ، سقط دومفريز وبيرث وأخيراً لينليثجو في يد بروس ، ولم يتبق سوى ستيرلنغ وروكسبرغ وإدنبره وبيرويك في أيدي الإنجليزية. كان سقوط لينليثجو في سبتمبر يعني أن بروس كان قادرًا على إصدار إنذار أخير للأشخاص الموالين لإنجلترا - خضع له في غضون عام ، أو أن يُحرم من الميراث إلى الأبد. ناشدوا إدوارد الثاني ، الذي كان أخيرًا في وضع يسمح له بالرد ، وأعلنوا عن خطط لغزو اسكتلندا في منتصف صيف 1314. في 28 فبراير ، سقطت روكسبيرج في يد جيمس دوجلاس ، وبعد أسبوعين من سقوط إدنبرة في يد توماس راندولف. أمر الملك روبرت بتدمير كليهما.

بحلول شهر مارس ، كان شقيق الملك ، إدوارد بروس ، يفرض حصارًا على ستيرلنغ. أدرك إدوارد بروس أن غزو منتصف الصيف سيقطع كل ما كان يجري في ستيرلنغ ، فقام بهدنة مع القائد الإنجليزي السير فيليب موبراي. عرض Mowbray تسليم القلعة إذا لم يتم إعفاؤها بحلول 24 يونيو. وافق إدوارد بروس ، وانسحب.

لا يُعرف ما إذا كانت هذه هي خطة الملك روبرت. لقد نجح في الاستيلاء على جميع القلاع التي كانت موجودة ضده باستثناء اثنين ، ستيرلنغ وبيرويك. مع تدمير قلاع مثل روكسبيرج وادنبره ، كان يحرم الإنجليز من أي أماكن آمنة للتراجع إليها ، وبالتالي أجبر الحرب على القتال بشروط مواتية للأسكتلنديين. يبدو من غير المحتمل أنه كان ينوي إرجاءً لستيرلنغ لمدة ثلاثة أشهر ، والذي ربما يكون قد سقط في هذه الأثناء.

لذلك أصبحت قلعة ستيرلنغ الهدف الأساسي للجيش الذي قاده إدوارد الثاني إلى اسكتلندا في يونيو 1314. كانت القلعة أبعد معقل للقوة الإنجليزية بالإضافة إلى حراسة الطريق الرئيسي المؤدي إلى اسكتلندا شمال فورث. وهذا يعني أيضًا أن الملك روبرت كان يعرف أين ومتى سيكون الجيش الإنجليزي ، ومنحه ثلاثة أشهر للتخطيط لذلك. إذا لم يكن الاتفاق مع Mowbray خطته ، فقد أتيحت له على الأقل الفرصة لتحقيق أقصى استفادة من ميزته.

في 23 يونيو ، تحرك الإنجليز شمالًا من فالكيرك عبر Torwood ، باتجاه Stirling. كان بروس قد جمع جيشًا أصغر من الرجال ذوي الخبرة ، وخاض خلال يومي 23 و 24 سلسلة من الاشتباكات مع القوات الإنجليزية المتقدمة. لقد قسم قواته إلى قسمين ، وكان جزءه من الجيش الاسكتلندي مختبئًا إلى حد كبير في الغابة ، بعد أن حفر سلسلة من الخنادق والحفر ، التي تصطف على جانبيها أوتاد خشبية ، عبر خط المسيرة الإنجليزي.

تم سحب الطليعة الإنجليزية تحت قيادة إيرل غلوستر بعيدًا عن هذا من خلال التراجع الوهمي ، وهزمه بروس ورجاله. في الوقت نفسه ، حاول اللورد كليفورد وهنري دي بومون الالتفاف على بروس وقطع انسحابه بالسفر حول حافة الغابة ، لكن تمت رؤيته من قبل الجزء الثاني من الجيش الاسكتلندي تحت قيادة توماس راندولف ، الذي اشتبك مع رجاله وهزمهم. معهم. هرب المهزومون من كلا المجموعتين الإنجليزيتين إما إلى القلعة أو إلى بقية الجيش الإنجليزي ، الذي ترك الطريق (تجنب خنادق بروس) وعسكر بين فورث وبانوك بيرن في منطقة مستنقعية.

في صباح اليوم التالي ، عبر الجيش الإنجليزي نهر بانوك بيرن وكان متجهًا نحو الموقع الاسكتلندي. قاد بروس جميع رجاله للخروج من الغابة ، وجمعهم في ثلاث مجموعات كبيرة تدافع عنها الحراب على الأرض الجافة - بالقرب من الخنادق والحفر التي تجنبها الإنجليز عن غير قصد في اليوم السابق. ربما أعقب تبادل السهام ، حيث كان الإنجليز يفوقون عدد الأسكتلنديين بشكل كبير ، تهمة سلاح الفرسان الاسكتلندي التي هزمت الرماة الإنجليز ، ثم تبعها بالتأكيد تهمة قوات الفرسان الإنجليزية الرئيسية. كان الجمع بين الأرض المعدة والحراب يعني أن شحنة الفرسان قد فشلت ، ثم هُزمت في الواقع من قبل الإسكتلنديين المتقدمين.

لم يتمكن الحرس الخلفي من الاشتباك مع الأسكتلنديين بسبب ضيق الميدان ، وتم دفعهم إلى بانوك بيرن وعادوا إليه من قبل قواتهم المنسحبة. يقول التقليد أن قوة من الجنود المحليين ، سيئة التدريب والتجهيز ، ظهرت بعد ذلك على حافة الغابة ، واعتقدت أنها تعزيز كبير ، أصيب إدوارد الثاني بالذعر ، وهرب من الميدان ، متجهًا إلى سلامة قلعة ستيرلنغ ، حيث كان موبراي يراقب الأمر برمته.

لا يريد الملك إدوارد أن يُحاصر بالداخل ويتم تسليمه وفقًا للاتفاقية المبرمة بين موبراي وإدوارد بروس ، وربما نصحه موبراي بأن هذا هو ما سيحدث ، استدار الملك إدوارد وهرب جنوبًا مرة أخرى. مع العلم أن الملك قد هرب دمر المعنويات الإنجليزية المتبقية وأصبح التراجع فوق Bannock Burn بمثابة هزيمة ، حيث حوصر العديد من الرجال هناك. عندما تلاشى الغبار ، سلم ماوبراي القلعة للملك روبرت ، الذي أمر على الفور بتدميرها لمنع إعادة احتلالها من قبل الإنجليز. من الواضح أنه لم يتأثر بسلوك إدوارد الثاني ، ثم غير موبراي ولاءه ، وأصبح مؤيدًا لبروس. قُتل في النهاية وهو يقاتل إلى جانب إدوارد بروس في أيرلندا عام 1318.

لم يبق شيء من قلعة "ستيرلنغ" القديمة. تعود أقدم الأجزاء التي بقيت إلى أواخر القرن الرابع عشر ، وبعد ذلك فقط كأساسات. لهذا السبب ، فإن أي إعادة بناء للقلعة التي أغفلت معركة بانوكبيرن هي تخمينية تمامًا ، لكنها كانت بالتأكيد حصنًا أكثر وضوحًا من المباني الموجودة في الموقع اليوم ، مع التركيز بشكل رئيسي على الحائط الساتر الكبير على طول خط لاحقًا. الحائط الساتر والحراسة ، مع أبراج كبيرة في كل طرف ، وحراسة مركزية ، ربما يتم الدفاع عنها ببرجين كبيرين. من المحتمل تمامًا أن الطرف الشمالي من Castle Hill لم يتم الدفاع عنه بالحجر ، إذا كان هناك أي حماية على الإطلاق ، حيث تشكل المنطقة العليا المركزية فقط قلعة فناء غير منتظمة.

بدون قلعة ستيرلنغ ، لما كانت هناك معركة بانوكبيرن. كما رأينا ، لم يكن الحصار سبب غزو الملك إدوارد الثاني ، كما يقال أحيانًا. كان الملك إدوارد قد قرر بالفعل أنه سيغزو اسكتلندا قبل أن يعقد إدوارد بروس صفقته مع فيليب موبراي ردًا على إرضاء أنصاره في لوثيان ، الذين تعرضوا لمضايقات من رجال الملك روبرت. ومع ذلك ، كانت مآثر إدوارد الثاني العسكرية بعيدة كل البعد عن مآثر والده. كانت الحملات القليلة لإدوارد الثاني كقاعدة عامة غير ناجحة. أعطى الموعد النهائي الذي حدده موبراي وإدوارد بروس للملك إدوارد مكانًا واضحًا للتوجه إليه وموعدًا ثابتًا ليكون هناك.

من المحتمل أنه بدون هذه الأهداف الثابتة ، فإن حملة إدوارد الثاني في عام 1314 في اسكتلندا كانت لتتكرر لعام 1310 ، بدون توجيه أو غرض ، أكثر بقليل من غارة واسعة النطاق على الأراضي الاسكتلندية. It is unlikely that King Robert would have massed his forces to fight the English elsewhere, not knowing where they would be. King Robert was to consolidate his hold on Scotland for the rest of his reign, capturing Berwick, the final castle to hold out against him in 1318, and achieving first papal recognition of his crown in 1324, and then a peace with the minority regime of Edward III in 1327. By comparison, Edward II steadily lost the control of his country and the loyalty of his barons, and was deposed in 1327, to be murdered shortly afterwards.

Even without his great victory of Bannockburn, it is likely that King Robert would have ejected Edward II from Scotland. But undoubtedly Stirling Castle was the reason Bannockburn was fought, and therefore the reason that the name of Robert the Bruce echoes down the centuries. Stirling Castle was rebuilt, and besieged many times afterwards, changing hands first between the English and Scots, and also between different factions of Scottish nobles during it subsequent history. But first and foremost, it must be remembered as the castle that was the cause of the most famous battle in Scottish history.


Stirling Castle, Scotland

اUR trip to Stirling Castle got off to a fantastic start by way of a vegan sausage roll from Greggs.

The sausage roll boost was welcome, as the castle straddles a massive volcanic rock (of which we were currently at the bottom). This sort of elevation is typical for any castle that’s in it for the big time, making them easier to defend and keeping historians in great shape.

All visitors must prove their worth by scaling the rocky cliff before being permitted entry to Stirling Castle. Ropes provided, don’t worry.
Thank you Tylie Duff for letting me use your stunning photo.
Check out the page! https://pixels.com/featured/2-stirling-castle-at-sunset-tylie-duff.html

I felt a little bit cheeky striding up the street to the castle gates, as I’m English, and the castle has had a historically unpleasant relationship with powers over the border. I imagined centuries of battle-hardened, Mel Gibson lookalikes turning in their graves as we climbed to the summit. Felt extra cheeky.

In fact, the castle’s early history reads like a sort of horrific tennis match, to-ing and fro-ing between the Scottish and English, with trebuchets instead of rackets. In 1304, during the Scottish Wars of Independence, just 30 Scottish defenders held out against an English army of 1500 for several months. Inhabitants of the castle survived this siege by eating salted meat and fish (which kept it preserved, but probably tasted like an old shoe), drinking water from a castle well, and watching re-runs of Love Island.

The English finally said enough was enough, and decided to break the Scottish spirit how any classroom bully would – by ceaselessly launching rocks and fireballs at them with their colossal trebuchet. This trebuchet was actually ال most colossal trebuchet in the entire world and, taking inspiration from Age of Empires II: The Forgotten, the English named it ‘Warwolf’. The Scots couldn’t take the English seriously after this, and swiftly surrendered.

…impenetrable-rock-volcano aside, the castle has some other excellent defensive systems, if defensive systems are your thing: a thick outer wall the Forework gatehouse complete with towers an artillery battery and a £17.50 entrance fee (to be fair, this is definitely worth it – plus it’s cheaper buying tickets online).

The Forework gatehouse. Note the battle scars on the right-hand tower…
Image by Walkerssk from Pixabay (it was not a blue sky kind of day when we went) – thank you!

Thankfully, no one fired a single cannon at us as Adam and I approached the ticket booth. It would appear that, now at least, one does simply walk into Stirling Castle. This is great news for those of us who don’t own a battering ram.

Most of these defences weren’t built until later in the castle’s history, and didn’t get tested properly until the Civil War in the mid-17 th century, followed by the Jacobite uprising. The oldest surviving part of the castle is thought to be the North Gate, which actually wasn’t built until 1381 – 77 years after the ‘Warwolf’ incident and almost 300 years after the first written record of a castle here.

Moreover, the castle as we see it now is basically unrecognisable from its former self as developed by James IV at the turn of the 16 th century. This is because (curveball) most of it was painted yellow. Like a big French fancy. Or a fantastic banana. It also had six towers rather than the two we see now, which were even taller than today’s. The impressive Great Hall, completed around 1503, has had its yellow-ness restored as a reminder of the perils of Renaissance décor.

The North Gate (far left, with the archway) is the oldest surviving part of the castle, dating back to 1381. Just to its right, we get a sneak peak of the Great Hall, painted in Farrow and Ball’s ‘Custard Powder’ (actually rendered in ‘Royal Gold’ harling – a limewash).

After buying tickets, I promptly got lost locating the toilets and we missed the guided tour. Luckily, tours (which are included in the ticket price!) are frequent at Stirling Castle, and we joined the next within ten minutes. Our guide was super friendly and knowledgeable, and told us all off for watching شجاع القلب و غريب عن الديار.

Much of the tour was outside, and everyone was relieved to be in a country with pleasant December weather where it doesn’t rain a lot. From our vantage point, we could see where the famous Battle of Stirling Bridge took place in 1297. Here, Scottish troops, in their efforts to drive the English back out of Scotland, trapped their assailants against the bridge and massacred them.

They were led by national hero, William Wallace, and Andrew Murray – not to be confused with Andy Murray (of tennis player fame) as far as sources suggest. Interestingly, much of the romance surrounding Wallace is thanks to a 15 th -century minstrel, nicknamed “Blind Harry”, which is one possible explanation why Wallace was allowed to get away with his mullet for so long.

This is what William Wallace looked like if you were lying on the floor. Maybe.
The Wallace Statue, Bemersyde. Image by Euan Taylor from Pixabay – thanks, Euan!

The story of Stirling Castle is not an entire blood bath though. Our tour guide also led us through the Great (yellow) Hall, which would have been fabulously decked out back in the day for feasts and dances. It has no fewer than five giant fireplaces (this must have been a nightmare for the Floo Network), and a wonderfully restored hammer beam roof – which, I can promise, you won’t know has been missing from your life until you see it.

When James VI’s son, Prince Henry, was born, they had a simple, toned down celebration in the Hall to mark the occasion. Only joking – they built a 40ft-high ship there, with firing canons, and served fish out of it. Give the people what the people want. With the Union of the Crowns in 1603, James VI neglected his castle in Stirling in favour of his lavish London life… The once Great Hall fell into disappointingly practical use, and eventually stood as a military barracks until 1964.

After the tour, Adam and I accidentally revealed our true nature as long-time squares and stayed to harass our guide with extra questions, which he fielded magnificently. We also managed to get a mini-History lesson on football, persuaded a lute player to give us a private performance, and dressed Adam up as a court jester. *

Towards the end of our trip we stumbled upon the magazines. These are actually buildings designed to hold explosive gunpowder – although it would certainly have been fun if historians had uncovered a secret stash of عالميs under James VI’s privy chamber floorboards. Peeking into a building, we were attacked by one of those model museum figures that always prey on you, despite being (supposedly) inanimate. Adam would like it to be generally known that he definitely did not jump out of his skin like a poor wee lamb.

Unfortunately, I am afflicted with something known as historygraduateitis and insist on reading everything there is to read in museums, in the hope that I might not forget it. This is why we were still traipsing about the castle at closing time. As night fell, we stood on the castle walls surrounded by inky blue hills and misty shadows of trees cast against the buildings. It would have felt very poetic had I not been terrified of models leaping out from behind bushes, possibly wielding claymores.

…a murderous museum model’s playground?

All in all, I have barely scratched the surface of Stirling Castle’s colourful history (I should spend less time discussing Gregg’s sausage rolls). There was the time Bonnie Prince Charlie laid siege to the castle, the time Mary Queen of Scots’ bed went up in flames, and the time a would-be physician hand-made a chicken suit and jumped from the walls to prove that he could fly (miraculously, he survived – so grab your feathers and get sewing, chaps).

There is also a large underground kitchen (always my favourite part of heritage sites), the royal palace chambers, the Queen Anne gardens, a tapestry exhibition, and a whole load of other spaces that tell a rich and interesting story of the castle – and Scotland’s incredible past more broadly.

*Edit from Adam (who has only consented to be in this blog if I make him sound cool): I accidentally revealed my true nature as a long-time square and pointed out a lovely example of medieval buttressing, to which Adam said, “Yeah whatever babe” and did a backflip.

My top tips for getting the most out of trips like this one are:

1) Ask the museum staff as many questions as you can think of, because they’re always real enthusiasts with a bunch of information and quirky stories that you won’t find anywhere else!

2) Take a moment while you’re visiting to stand very quietly and imagine that you’re someone who worked in the castle centuries ago, because a) it gives you a wonderful perspective and reminder that these were real, functioning places and b) people might think that you’re a scary model and it’ll be banterful to see their faces when your eyes suddenly twitch.

Recommended listening: ‘Flower of Scotland’ (especially when sung by large crowds at sporting events).

Like a good little History grad, I’ve included the links here to pages I checked out to get (most of) my facts straight (especially the bit about Love Island). Take a look if you’re interested in learning some more!


Stirling Castle Gatehouse - History


Stirling castle crowns Castle Hill, an intrusive igneous crag. Like Edinburgh it is surrounded on three sides by steep cliffs, giving it a strong defensive position. Its strategic location, guarding what was, until the 1890s, the farthest downstream crossing of the River Forth, has made it an important fortification from the earliest times. Several Scottish kings and queens have been crowned at Stirling, including Mary Queen of Scots in 1542.

تاريخ
Stirling castle is built on a formation of quartz-dolerite rock which is around 350 million years old. This was subsequently modified by glaciation to form a "crag and tail" just like Edinburgh castle 32 miles away. Despite various claims there is no archaeological evidence for occupation of Castle Hill before the medieval period. Stirling was often know as Snowdoun as is shown by the works of William Worcester in the mid fifteenth
مئة عام.

Stirling first enters history, rather than fantasy, around 1110 when King Alexander I dedicated a chapel at the castle. It appears to have been an established royal centre by this time, as Alexander died here in 1124. During the reign of David I (1124-53), Stirling became a royal burgh and the castle an important administration centre. King William I (1165-1214) formed a deer park to the SW of the castle, but after his capture at Alnwick in 1174 he was forced to surrender several castles, including Stirling and Edinburgh to King Henry II (1154-89), under the treaty of Falaise. There seem to be no records for the garrisoning of the castle - although Edinburgh ( castellum Puellarum ) was garrisoned at a cost of £26 13s 4d in 1175 - and all the castles were formally sold back to William by Richard I of England in 1189. Stirling continued to be a favoured royal residence, with William himself dying there in 1214. Alexander III (1249-86) laid out the New Park for deer hunting in the 1260s.

In 1291 King Edward I (1272-1307) demanded and received Stirling, together with the other royal castles of Scotland, be put under his control during his arbitration over who should be king of Scotland under him. Edward as judge and his barons, English, Welsh, Scottish and French, as jury, gave judgement in favour of John Balliol. However, when John refused to help Edward collect troops for warfare in France or honour the agreements he had entered into concerning the legal governing of the kingdom, it caused Edward to invade Scotland and depose its king as a rebellious subject. Edward found Stirling castle abandoned and occupied it. After the victory of Andrew Moray (d.1297) and William Wallace (d.1305) at the battle of Stirling Bridge in September 1297, the royalist commanders, William Fitz Warin (d.1299), a grandson of Fulk Fitz Warin (d.1198) of Whittington, who had been made constable of Urquhart castle, and Marmaduke Thweng (d.1323), retreated into the castle where they were starved into surrender by the rebels and sent as prisoners to Dumbarton. The castle was reclaimed by Edward after his 22 July 1298 victory at Falkirk, but was besieged again in 1299 and forced to surrender.

It was only in April 1304 that Edward decided to take Stirling castle again, this time he was accompanied by at least 17 siege engines including giant ballista and mangonels with names such as Segrave, Forster and Robinet. The king also hazzarded himself during the action, once having his garments and saddle pierced by a quarrel and once by being thrown from his horse when the defenders scored a near miss with a catapult. Finally the defenders, under William Oliphant (d.1329), surrendered on 20 July, but were ordered back into the castle by Edward, as he had not yet deployed his latest engine, 'Warwolf' - supposedly a large trebuchet. When the garrison surrendered unconditionally, Edward granted the men their lives, except for the man who had betrayed the castle to Wallace four years previously as he was a traitor.

Edward died within a year of Robert Bruce's 1306 revolt and Edward's son had neither the inclination nor the ability to continue to govern Scotland. By 1313, only Stirling, Roxburgh, Edinburgh and Berwick castles remained to him in Scotland. Edward Bruce, the king's brother, laid siege to Stirling, which was held by Philip Mowbray (d.1318). Hard pressed, Mowbray agreed to surrender the castle if it were not relieved by 24 June 1314. The consequence was the battle of Bannockburn fought by Edward II's relieving army on 23-24 June within sight of the castle walls. Although Mowbray could have claimed that Edward coming within sight of the castle constituted its being relieved, he surrendered the castle and his person to King Robert. In turn Robert ordered the castle to be slighted to prevent its reoccupation by Edwardian forces at a later date.

The castle site fell to the forces of Edward Balliol, the son of King John, after his great victory over the Scottish regents at the battle of Dupplin Moor in 1332. In 1336 Thomas Rokeby was captain and indulging in extensive works, probably repairing the damage done in 1314. Andrew Murray of Bothwell attempted a siege in 1337, when guns may have been used for the first time by the Scots. However, it was Robert Stewart (d.1390), the future King Robert II, who retook Stirling in the siege of 1341&ndash1342. In the aftermath Maurice Murray was appointed as keeper. In 1360 Robert Forsyth was appointed governor of Stirling castle, an office he passed on to his son, John, and grandson, William, who was governor in 1399.

It is said that Earl Robert Stewart of Menteith, the regent of Scotland as brother of Robert III (d.1406), undertook works on the N&S gates as the earliest surviving masonry on the site. In 1424, Stirling castle was part of the jointure (marriage settlement) given to James I's wife, Joan Beaufort. This established a tradition which later monarchs continued. After James' murder in 1437, Joan took shelter within the castle with her son, the young James II. Fifteen years later, in 1452, it was at Stirling castle that James stabbed and killed William, the 8th earl of Douglas, when the latter refused to end a potentially treasonous alliance with Earl John of Ross and Earl Alexander Lindsay of Crawford. King James III was born here and later undertook works to the gardens and the chapel royal. Like Edinburgh, the manufacture of artillery in the castle is recorded in 1475. King James' wife, Margaret of Denmark, died within the fortress in 1486. Two years later James himself died at the battle of Sauchieburn, fought over almost the same ground as the battle of Bannockburn, just to the south of the castle.

Most of the standing masonry of the current castle is said to have been constructed between 1490 and 1600. The architecture of these new buildings shows an eclectic mix of English, French and German influences. James IV (1488&ndash1513) kept a full Renaissance court at Stirling as he sought to establish a palace of European standing. Although he also undertook building works at the royal residences of Edinburgh, Falkland and Linlithgow, his grandest works were at Stirling and included the King's Old Building, the Great Hall, and the Forework. He also renovated the chapel royal, one of the two churches within the castle at this time. In 1501 he even received approval from the pope for the establishment of a college of priests. The Forework, of which little now remains, was derived from French military architecture, although some details were added more for style than for defence. If a satirical account in two poems by the poet William Dunbar is based on fact, the castle walls may have been the site of an attempt at human-powered flight about 1509, by the Italian alchemist and abbot of Tongland, John Damian. King James also kept an alchemist called Caldwell maintaining a furnace for quinta essencia, the mythical fifth element, at the castle.

The building works begun by James had not been completed at the time of his death at the battle of Flodden in 1513. His successor, James V (1513&ndash1542), was crowned in the chapel royal and grew up in the castle under the guardianship of Lord Erskine. In 1515, the Regent Albany brought 7,000 men to Stirling to wrest control of the young king from his mother, Margaret Tudor. Despite this, the king continued expanding his father's building programme, creating the centrepiece of the castle, the Royal Palace, built under the direction of Sir James Hamilton of Finnart and masons brought in from France. James V also died young, leaving the unfinished work to be completed by his widow, Mary of Guise. His infant daughter, Mary Queen of Scots, was brought to Stirling castle for safety, and crowned in the chapel royal on 9 September 1543. She too was brought up here until she was sent to Inchmahome priory and then to France in 1548. When Anglo-French hostilities spread into Scotland, artillery fortifications were added to the S approach of the castle. These form the basis of the present outer defences.

Queen Mary returned to Scotland in 1561 and then visited Stirling castle frequently. She nursed Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, through an illness here in 1565, before the two were married. Their son, James VI, was baptised here in 1566. After Darnley's murder, Mary was travelling from Stirling when she was abducted by the earl of Bothwell, beginning the chain of events that led to her forced abdication and flight to England.

After the queen's flight the young King James VI was crowned in the nearby church of the Holy Rude, and grew up within the castle walls under the tutelage of the humanist scholar George Buchanan. Frequently used as a pawn in the struggles between his regents and the supporters of Mary, the young king was closely guarded. Stirling became the base for James' supporters, while those nobles who wished to see Queen Mary restored gathered at Edinburgh, under William Kirkcaldy of Grange. Grange led a raid on Stirling in 1571, attempting to round up the Queen's enemies, but failed to gain control of the castle or the king.

The keeper of the castle, Alexander Erskine of Gogar, was ejected by supporters of Regent Morton in April 1578, after his son was fatally wounded during a struggle at the gate. The rebellious earls of Mar and Angus seized the castle in 1584, but surrendered and fled to England when the king arrived with an army. They returned the following year, forcing the king to surrender, although they proclaimed their loyalty to him. King James' first child, Henry, was born in the castle in 1594, and the present Chapel Royal was constructed for his baptism on 30 August. The chapel completed the quadrangle of the Inner Close. Like his predecessors Henry spent his childhood here under the 2nd earl of Mar, until the Union of the Crowns of 1603, when his father succeeded as king of England and the royal family left for London.

After the king's departure, Stirling's role as a residence declined and it became principally a military centre. It was used as a prison for persons of rank during the 17th C, but did not feature in the civil and religious wars of the 1630s and 1640s. Following the execution of Charles I, the Scots crowned his son as Charles II, and he became the last reigning monarch to stay here, living at the castle in 1650. The Royalist forces were defeated at Dunbar by those of Oliver Cromwell, before the king marched S to defeat at Worcester. General Monck laid siege to the castle on 6 August 1651, erecting gun platforms in the adjacent churchyard. After the garrison mutinied, Colonel William Conyngham was obliged to surrender on 14 August. Damage done during the siege can still be seen on the church and the great hall.

Although garrisoned by the government during the first Jacobite rising, the castle saw no fighting. In the second Jacobite rising of 1745, the rebel army marched past Stirling on the way to Edinburgh and the S. Following the Jacobites' retreat from England, they returned to Stirling in January 1746, where the town soon surrendered. The castle governor refused to capitulate and artillery works were set up on Gowan Hill. These were quickly destroyed by the castle's guns and the Jacobites withdrew north on 1 February, effectively ending the castle's military career.

وصف
The outer defences comprise artillery fortifications and were built in their present form in the eighteenth century, although some parts, including the French spur at the E end, date back to the regency of Mary of Guise in the 1550s. The spur was originally an ear-shaped bastion known as an orillon and contained gun emplacements which protected the main spur. This projection was fronted by an earth ramp called a talus, which was entered via a drawbridge over a ditch. Excavations in the 1970s showed that much of the original stonework remains within the eighteenth
مئة عام defences.

Following the attempted Jacobite invasion of 1708, improvements to the castle's defences were ordered and completed by 1714. The main result was that the front wall was extended outwards to form Guardhouse square. This had the effect of creating two defensive walls, both of which were fronted by ditches defended by covered firing galleries known as caponiers. One of the caponiers survives and is accessible from Guardhouse square by a narrow staircase. To the rear of the walls, chambers called casemates were built to strengthen the wall, and to provide gun emplacements. The French spur was modified slightly to allow more cannons to be mounted.

The gatehouse, providing entry from the outer defences to the castle proper, was only finished around 1506. It originally formed part of a forework, extending as a curtain wall across the whole width of Castle Hill. At the centre is the gatehouse itself, which now stands to less than half its original height. The round towers at the outer corners rose to conical roofs, with battlements carried around the tops of the towers. These were flanked by more round towers, of which only traces now remain. There were further round towers at the rear of the gatehouse, making it a square tower with 4 corner turrets and the gate passageway in between. The overall design, as drawn by John Slezer in 1693, shows French influence, and has parallels with the forework erected at Linlithgow palace. Like this, the forework was probably intended more for show than for serious defence, as it would have offered little protection against contemporary artillery - either that or the original defences are merely refaced and much older than is currently reckoned. The entrance to the ward was via a central passage, flanked by two separate pedestrian passages. This triple arrangement was unusual in its time. Classical triumphal arches have been suggested as an influence. The gatehouse was dismantled gradually, and then consolidated in its present form in 1810.

The gatehouse is coated in a fine ashlar, which is totally different to the rubble built curtain walls that begin 20' either side of it. Just beyond these junctions there were semi-circular projecting towers similar to the ones on the gatehouse. However these are faced in well-laid rubble. Adjoining the SW tower is the plinth of the older curtain which runs off to the rectangular Prince's tower. This is overlain by ashlar of a similar quality to that which coats the gatehouse. At each end of the curtain wall is a rectangular tower. The west tower, known as the Prince's Tower, survives to its full height, and is now attached to the later palace. At the east end, the Elphinstone Tower contained a kitchen and possibly an officer's lodging. It was cut down to form a gun battery, probably in the early eighteenthمئة عام, when the outer defences were rebuilt. This marks the extent of the surviving medieval castle.

Within the forework is a courtyard known as the outer close, containing eighteenthمئة عام الهياكل. في وقت مبكرشمال gate, giving access to the nether or lower bailey, contained the original castle kitchens, which were probably linked to the great hall. The kitchen which is now visible was constructed later. In 1689 these rooms were infilled to provide gun emplacements. To the west of the outer close, the main parts of the castle are arranged around the quadrangular inner close: the royal palace to the south, the king's old building on the west, the chapel royal to theشمال, and the great hall to the east.

The oldest part of the inner close is thought to be the king's old building, on the west side. This was complete by 1497. It was begun as a new residential range by James IV and originally comprised an L shaped building. The principal rooms were on the first floor, over cellars and included two chambers with wide open views to the west. The projecting stair tower has an octagonal upper section, which was copied for a second, later stair tower on the same building. In 1855, theشمال end of the building burned down, and was rebuilt in a &lsquobaronial style'. At the SW end of the range is a linking building, once used as kitchens, which is on a different alignment to both the king's old building and the adjacent royal palace. It has been suggested that this is an earlier fifteenthمئة عام بنية. Excavations within this building revealed burials, suggesting that this may have been the site of a church or chapel. The skeletons found, all buried with dignity, seem to have mostly met gruesome ends and were thought to have been members of the garrison mainly beaten to death in isolated groups. One was a woman who had been knifed. Many were shown to have been from the early fourteenthمئة عام.

On the east side of the inner close is the great or parliament hall. This was built by James IV following on from the completion of the king's old building in 1497 and was being plastered by 1503. It represents the first example of Renaissance influenced royal architecture in Scotland and was worked on by a number of English craftsmen, being comparable to Edward IV's hall at Eltham palace, built in the late 1470s. It includes Renaissance details within a conventional medieval plan. Inside are five fireplaces and large side windows lighting the dais end. It is 138' by 47' across, making it the largest such hall in Scotland.

To the west of the fourteenthمئة عام gatehouse, forming the south side of the inner close, is the royal palace. It was begun in the 1530s and was largely complete by the time of James V's death in December 1542. The architecture of this is French inspired, but the decoration is more German. The statues include a line of soldiers on the south parapet and a series of full size figures around the principal floor. These include a portrait of James V, the devil, St Michael and representations of Venus and several planetary deities. Internally, the palace comprises two apartments, one for the king and one for the queen.

The collegiate chapel established by James IV in 1501 lay between the king's old Building and the great hall, but was further south than the present building. This was the chapel in which Queen Mary was crowned in 1543. After this a new building was erected within a year,شمال of the old site to improve access to the hall. This too was later modified for military use, housing a dining room. The wall paintings were rediscovered in the 1930s, and restoration began after the Second World War.

Beyond theشمال gate, the nether bailey occupies theشمال end of Castle Hill. Surrounded by defensive walls, the area contains a nineteenthمئة عام guard house and gunpowder stores as well as the modern tapestry studio. There was formerly access to the nether bailey from Ballengeich to the west, until the postern was blocked in response to the threat of Jacobite rebellion.

Due to its similar appearance to Colditz castle in Saxony, the castle was used to film the exterior shots for the 1970s TV series Colditz.


Venue Type:

Museum, Castle or defences

SUMMER
1 April - 30 September
7 days a week. 9.30am to 6.00pm

WINTER
1 October - 31 March
7 days a week. 9.30am to 5.00pm

Last Entry
Last ticket sold 45 mins before closing. Please note the Regimental Museum hours vary from the castle opening hours.

ADMISSION PRICES (valid until 31 March 2015)
Adult: £14.00 (aged 16-59)
Child £7.50 (aged 5-15. Children must be accompanied by an adult or concession visitor).
Concession: £11.00 (aged 60 and over, unemployed)
Child under 5 - FREE

ADMISSION PRICES (April 2015 - March 2016)
Adult: £14.50 (aged 16-59)
Child £8.70 (aged 5-15. Children must be accompanied by an adult or concession visitor).
Concession: £11.60 (aged 60 and over, unemployed)
Child under 5 - FREE


A HISTORY OF STIRLING

Stirling became an important settlement because it is the lowest crossing place over the River Forth. Furthermore, it has a rocky outcrop, which was a natural place to build a fort. (The name Stirling is derived from Striveling, meaning place of strife). By the 11th century, a royal castle was built on the crag. On its slopes was a village of wooden huts.

Sometime in the 1120’s the king made Stirling into a town by granting the townspeople a charter. (A charter was a document, which gave them certain rights). Stirling became a royal burgh with a weekly market and its own local government. The merchants of Stirling elected a provost to run the town. Soon Stirling became a busy and important town. As well as a market it had an annual fair.

In the Middle Ages fairs were like markets but they were held only once a year. Buyers and sellers would come from all over central Scotland to attend a Stirling fair. After 1447 Stirling had 2 fairs. The main industry in Medieval Stirling was weaving wool. Stirling was also a small inland port. (The small ships of that era could sail up the Forth).

However, by modern standards, Stirling was tiny, with a population of only several hundred. Stirling was probably fortified by a ditch and earth rampart with a wooden palisade on top.

About 1145 Cambuskenneth Abbey, an Augustinian abbey, was founded on the other side of the River Forth from Stirling by King David I. Then in the 13th-century friars arrived in Stirling. Friars were like monks but instead of withdrawing from the world, they went out to preach. There were 2 orders of friars in Stirling. The Dominicans were called Blackfriars because of their black costumes. There were also Franciscan friars known as grey friars in Stirling. Like many medieval towns Stirling also had a leper hostel outside the walls.

Stirling castle was originally built in wood but in the late 13th century it was rebuilt in stone. In 1174 it was handed over to the English in return for the release of William I who had been captured in battle. The English handed Stirling Castle back in 1189.

At the end of the 13th century, a long war began between the Scots and the English. During the war, Stirling castle changed hands several times. The English invaded in 1296 and captured Stirling Castle. However, they were severely defeated at the battle of Stirling bridge the same year. The Scots recaptured Stirling castle in 1297. Then in 1298, the Scots were defeated at the Battle of Falkirk. William Wallace retreated north. Stirling castle fell into English hands. Stirling castle changed hands once again in 1299 when the Scots recaptured it. Stirling castle fell to the English in 1304 but the Scots recaptured it in 1314 after the battle of Bannockburn.

At first, Stirling had a wooden bridge but in 1415 it was replaced by a stone one now known as The Auld Brig. Furthermore, the Church of The Holy Rude was built in the late 15th century.

STIRLING IN THE 16th CENTURY AND 17th CENTURY

In 1507 a man named John Damien tried to fly from the walls of Stirling Castle. Luckily for him, he landed in a dung pile and escaped with only a broken leg.

In the 16th and 17th centuries, Stirling continued to grow in size and prosperity. By the middle of the century, it probably had a population of around 1,500. Although it would seem tiny to us by the standards of the time Stirling was a respectably sized market town. However, in the 17th century, Stirling declined in importance. That was partly because the king moved to England and Stirling castle gradually ceased to be a royal residence and became a barracks.

In 1530 Robert Spittal, a tailor, founded a hospice for poor people in Stirling. In 1547 after the Scots were routed at the battle of Pinkie a stone wall was erected around the town. When the Reformation swept Scotland the friaries were closed and in 1567 their property was given to the town council.

Mars Wark (work) was built in 1572 by the Early of Mar. Cowane’s Hospital (almshouses) was built with money left by John Cowane, a merchant who died in 1633. (They were completed in 1649). The Argyll Lodging was built about 1630 by William Alexander Ist Earl of Stirling. Archibald Campbell Ist Marquis of Argyll purchased it in 1655 and gave it its name.

Like all towns in those days, Stirling was dirty and unsanitary. There were outbreaks of plague in 1606 and 1645. The 1606 outbreak killed over 600 people, which at the time, was a large part of the town’s population. The 1645 visitation also left Stirling depopulated. But each time the town recovered.

STIRLING IN THE 18th CENTURY

For most of the 18th century, Stirling was a fairly small market town with a population of around 4,000. It was still a minor inland port. Stirling Tolbooth was built in 1704 by Sir William Bruce.

Fortunately, Stirling escaped any damage in the Jacobite risings of 1715 and 1745.

At the end of the 18th century, the industrial revolution began to transform Scotland. However, it largely bypassed Stirling, which remained a quiet market town. However, the traditional wool weaving industry continued. There was also a carpet weaving industry. Some cotton was also woven in Stirling. The first bank in Stirling opened in 1777.

At the end of the 18th century, Stirling began to grow geographically. For centuries Stirling had been limited to the slope of the hill below the castle. In the late 18th century growth spread to the Port Street and Dumbarton Road area. Raploch also began to grow at the end of the 18th century. In 1799 10 new houses were built there. Soon more followed. Also in the late 18th century, Stirling gained a piped water supply (for those who could afford to be connected).

STIRLING IN THE 19th CENTURY

In 1801, at the time of the first census, Stirling had a population of 5,271. By the standards of the time, it was a fair-sized market town. By 1821 the population of Stirling had grown to 7,333. In the early 19th century new streets were built north of the old town, Cowane Street, Irvine Place, and Queen Street. In 1826 Stirling gained gas street lighting and in 1833 a new bridge was built.

However, like all towns in the early 19th century, Stirling was dirty and unsanitary and there was a disastrous epidemic of cholera in 1832. Partly as result sewers were dug under the streets of Stirling in the 1850s. The old town jail was built in 1847 and in 1857 Stirling gained its first modern police force.

The Wallace Monument was built in 1869 and an infirmary was built in Stirling in 1874. Also in 1874 horse-drawn trams began running through the streets of Stirling. The Smith Art Gallery and Museum also opened in 1874. The Old Arcade was built in 1882. Furthermore, the Mercat Cross was restored in 1891. In the 19th century, Stirling remained a market town and it did not become an industrial center.

However, in 1848 the railway reached Stirling and the town began to grow more rapidly. This was partly because well-to-do people moved to the town and commuted to work in Glasgow. For the middle-class new houses were built west of the old town at Abercromby Place, Clarendon Place, Victoria Place, Victoria Square, and Queens Road. New streets were also built north of the old town such as Wallace Street, Bruce Street, Douglas Street, and Union Street.

Because of its strategic position as the ‘gateway to the Highlands’ Stirling began to develop as a tourist centre. In 1871 Stirling had a population of 11,788. By 1881 that had risen to 14,000.

STIRLING IN THE 20th CENTURY

The first electricity was generated in Stirling in 1900 and by 1901 the population of Stirling was over 18,000. The first public library opened in 1902. The first cinema in Stirling opened in 1912 and the last horse-drawn trams ran in 1920 when they were replaced by buses. In 1922 a war memorial was erected in Stirling.

In the 1920s and 1930s, the council began slum clearance in Stirling and built council houses to replace the slums at Raploch and the Riverside. Many more council houses were built in the 1950s and 1960s. Furthermore, in the 1950s many old buildings were demolished in the oldest part of the town.

Stirling University was founded in 1967. A swimming pool was built in 1974. The Thistle Centre opened in 1977. During the 20th century, Stirling was still a market town rather than an industrial centre but there were some industries such as financial services, food processing, and electronics. Castle Business Park opened in 1995.

STIRLING IN THE 21st CENTURY

Stirling Castle

Stirling was made a city in 2002. Today the population of Stirling is 45,000.


Promises that Could Never be Delivered

This bizarre story begins when “a penniless” Italian-born cleric by the name of John Damian de Falcuis, found his way to the city of Stirling in Scotland at the end of the 15th century. John was bereft of cash but loaded with charm, evident in that he was recorded as “attending the royal court of James IV of Scotland" at the beginning of the sixteenth century.

John promised the king inexhaustible supplies of gold and that he could produce enhanced medicines with secret Italian alchemical processes. A January 1501 record at the Scottish exchequer informs “John became protégé of King James IV " and received a “great deal of money and other items from the king, to make the quintessence" the elusive 5th element.” And with this money “Master John the French Leech (physician) directed the building of alchemical furnaces at Stirling Castle and Holyroodhouse.”

Late 19th-century photograph of the Palace of Holyroodhouse from Calton Hill in Edinburgh, home of one of John Damian’s alchemical labs. ( Public Domain )

The beginning of the 16th century in Scotland saw a surge of interest in science, and John’s promise of delivering the elusive “5th element” must have been highly valued. Rumors preceded John that Italian alchemists had made significant advances in alchemy and somewhere between 1501 and 1508 his mesmerism caused him to inherit the powerful position of Abbot of Tongland. What exactly was this “5th element” that John, and thousands of alchemists before him, attempted to create?


The i newsletter cut through the noise

2. Stirling Castle was abandoned for many years

The castle is one of the few that has not had a constant occupancy through out the years. During the Wars of Independence in 1296, when Edward invaded Scotland, he found the great castle empty and abandoned. This allowed the English king to set up a Scottish stronghold with relative ease.

3. The castle esplanade has featured in several music videos

The parade ground outside the castle has been used as an open-air concert venue through out the years. This includes R.E.M., Bob Dylan and Runrig, some of who filmed their live in concert DVDs here. Stirling’s Hogmanay celebrations are also held here every year, and live broadcasted on TV.

4. The Battle of Bannockburn had a scaring effect on the castle

In the aftermath of the famous bloody battle, King Robert the Bruce regained control of the castle. The impressive fortress had switched hands so many times during the Wars of Independence, that Robert ordered all of the defences to be destroyed so it could never be used against his efforts again.

5. A bloody murder took place here

While we know many killings took place here, none seem as violent and intentional as that of William, 8th Earl of Douglas. In February 1452, James II had the Earl assassinated with the help of his courtiers. He was stabbed 26 times, and then his body was flung from a castle window down into the gardens.

6. The first attempt at flight in Scotland happened here

In 1507, the very first record of an attempted flight took place on the castle walls.

An Italian alchemist by the name of John Damian was in attendance at the court of James IV. He believed that with the aid of feathered wings, he would be able to take flight, and jumped from the battlements. Of course, this failed spectacularly and instead, John landed in a dunghill and broke his thigh bone.

7. The oldest football in the world was discovered here

Mary, Queen of Scots loved sports and in particular, football. She even recorded playing a game in one of her diaries. Behind the panelling in the Queen’s chamber, the oldest surviving football in the world was discovered. No one knows how it got there, but speculation includes the queen hid it in a safe place to protect it from witch craft. The ball was made from an inflated pig’s bladder, wrapped with cow’s hide and is around half the size of footballs today.


شاهد الفيديو: Raheem Sterling and Joe Gomez in bust-up on England duty


تعليقات:

  1. Caersewiella

    أعتذر عن التدخل ... أنا على دراية بهذا الوضع. يمكنك مناقشة. اكتب هنا أو في PM.

  2. Goltizragore

    جي جي ، الصوار بشكل رائع

  3. Westby

    يا له من موضوع جيد جدا

  4. Mogore

    بالطبع أنت حقوق. في هذا الشيء وهو تفكير ممتاز. وهي على استعداد لدعمكم.

  5. Felton

    Neshtyak!)) 5+

  6. Ozanna

    أنت بالتأكيد على حق. في ذلك ، أعتقد أن هناك شيئًا ما هو التفكير الممتاز.



اكتب رسالة