مقاطعة أوفرتون LST-1074 - التاريخ

مقاطعة أوفرتون LST-1074 - التاريخ


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

مقاطعة أوفرتون
مقاطعة في ولاية تينيسي.
(LST-1074: dp. 4،080 ؛ 1. 328 '؛ b. 50' ، dr. 11'2 "؛ s. 12 k. ، cpl. 119 ؛ a. 8 40mm. cl. LST-611)

تم وضع LST-1074 في 24 فبراير 1945 ، بواسطة BethlehemHingham Shipyards، Ine.، Hingham، Mass .؛ تم إطلاقه في 27 مارس 1945 ؛ وتكليفه في 21 أبريل 1945 ، الملازم أول جون جاي في القيادة.

بعد رحلة إبحار في خليج تشيسابيك ، انطلق LST-I OY4 في 6 يونيو إلى بيرل هاربور عبر قناة بنما. بعد تفريغ حمولتها من أقسام LCT وشبكات Earzo في بيرل هاربور وإجراء عمليات مختلفة في الجزر ، استولت على القوات والمركبات من الفرقة البحرية الخامسة وكتيبة البناء البحرية 302 مع معدات عائم وفي 29 أغسطس بدأت في ساسيبو ، كيوشو ، اليابان. في 2 أكتوبر وصلت إلى خليج سوبيك ، لوزون ، بي. وعملت في غرب المحيط الهادي حتى عودتها إلى سان فران في 7 يناير 1946. بعد العملية على الساحل الغربي ، تم وضعها خارج الخدمة في المحمية في 4 سبتمبر 1946. سميت مقاطعة أويرتون في 1 يوليو 1955 ، تم ضربها من قائمة البحرية 1 نوفمبر 1958.


إدارة التصحيحات في فلوريدا "إلهام النجاح من خلال تغيير حياة واحدة في كل مرة"

حالة فورمان مقابل جورجيا قررت المحكمة العليا بالولايات المتحدة في يونيو 1972. في تلك القضية ، قضت المحكمة بأن عقوبة الإعدام غير دستورية وألغت قوانين عقوبة الإعدام بالولاية على الصعيد الوطني. ونتيجة لذلك ، تم تخفيف أحكام الإعدام الصادرة بحق 95 رجلاً وامرأة واحدة في قضية الإعدام في فلوريدا إلى السجن المؤبد. ومع ذلك ، بعد فورمان بموجب القرار ، قامت الهيئة التشريعية في فلوريدا بمراجعة قوانين عقوبة الإعدام في حال أعادت المحكمة العمل بعقوبة الإعدام في المستقبل. في عام 1976 ، ألغت المحكمة العليا حكمها في فورمان وأيد دستورية عقوبة الإعدام في قضية جريج ضد جورجيا. استؤنفت عمليات الإعدام في فلوريدا في عام 1979 عندما أصبح جون سبنكيلينك أول سجين محكوم عليه بالإعدام يُعدم بموجب القوانين الجديدة.

وسائل التنفيذ:

في يناير 2000 ، أقر المجلس التشريعي لفلوريدا تشريعًا يسمح بالحقن المميتة كوسيلة بديلة للإعدام في فلوريدا. تدير فلوريدا عمليات الإعدام بالحقنة المميتة أو الكرسي الكهربائي في غرفة الإعدام الموجودة في سجن ولاية فلوريدا. تم بناء الكرسي الكهربائي ثلاثي الأرجل من خشب البلوط من قبل موظفي وزارة الإصلاحيات في عام 1998 وتم تركيبه في سجن ولاية فلوريدا (FSP) في رايفورد في عام 1999. تم صنع الكرسي السابق من قبل نزلاء من خشب البلوط في عام 1923 بعد أن حددت الهيئة التشريعية لفلوريدا الصعق بالكهرباء. طريقة التنفيذ الرسمية. (قبل ذلك ، كانت المقاطعات تنفذ عمليات الإعدام شنقًا في العادة).

أول نزيل تم إعدامه:

كان فرانك جونسون أول نزيل يتم إعدامه في كرسي كهربائي في فلوريدا في 7 أكتوبر 1924. في عام 1929 ومن مايو 1964 إلى مايو 1979 لم تكن هناك عمليات إعدام في فلوريدا.

الجلاد:

أن يكون مواطنًا عاديًا يتقاضى 150 دولارًا عن كل عملية إعدام. يسمح قانون الولاية بأن تظل هويته مجهولة.

ملاحظة خاصة بشأن الشهود الصحفيين لعمليات الإعدام: وتعتمد الوزارة على رابطة فلوريدا للصحافة ورابطة فلوريدا للمذيعين لاختيار 10 من 12 مراسلين قد يشهدون الإعدام. يمكن لجمعية فلوريدا للصحافة (الهاتف: (321) 283-5257) تعيين خمسة مراسلين صحفيين ، ويمكن لجمعية المذيعين في فلوريدا (الهاتف: (850) 681-6444) تعيين خمسة مراسلين تلفزيونيين / إذاعيين. والاختياران الآخران محجوزان لممثلي وكالة أسوشيتد برس وشبكة راديو فلوريدا. يجب أن يمثل أحد المراسلين من مجموعة Florida Press Association مؤسسة إخبارية تغطي المقاطعة التي ارتكب فيها السجين المدان الجريمة التي حُكم عليه فيها بالإعدام. يمكن العثور على معلومات إضافية في سياسة DC (FAC 33.104.203).


Transmenu مدعوم من JoomlArt.com - Mambo Joomla Professional Templates Club

مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي تأسست عام 1806 من مقاطعة جاكسون وتينيسي والأراضي الهندية. سميت المقاطعة باسم القاضي جون أوفرتون ، صديق أندرو جاكسون ، قاضي المحكمة العليا للولاية ، والمؤسس المشارك مع أندرو جاكسون وجيمس وينشستر ، من ممفيس. في عام 1835 تم نقل مقر المقاطعة من مونرو إلى ليفينجستون. كانت هناك انتخابات عام 1835 لمعرفة ما إذا كان الناس يفضلون مونرو أو ليفينجستون. بدأ جيسي إلدريدج وعشرة آخرون ممن فضلوا مونرو التصويت لكنهم توقفوا طوال الليل في مجتمع أوكلي. نهض إلدريدج ، الذي فضل شخصياً ليفنجستون ، في وقت مبكر من الصباح وأطلق خيول الآخرين الذين فضلوا مونرو. ثم انتقل إلى مونرو وصوَّت.

كانت مقاطعة أوفرتون في الأصل جزءًا من مقاطعة ديفيدسون ولاحقًا مقاطعة جاكسون. في عام 1805 ، أجرى موسى فيسك مسحًا للقرية الأولى فيما يعرف الآن بمجتمع هيلهام. في 12 سبتمبر 1806 ، تم إنشاء منطقة مقاطعة أوفرتون من قبل المجلس التشريعي للولاية كمقاطعة. تم التنازل عن الإقليم الهندي الذي كان بداخله ، والذي ترأس فيه رئيس شيروكي Nettle Carrier ، إلى تينيسي لاستخدامه من قبل الرجل الأبيض. مقاطعة أوفرتون ، في وقت من الأوقات ، تضمنت جزءًا من الإقليم الذي أصبح في النهاية مقاطعات فنترس ، وكلاي ، وبيكيت ، وبوتنام ، وبما أن العديد من السجلات المبكرة لهذه المقاطعات قد تم تدميرها جزئيًا أو كليًا ، فإن السجلات الموجودة لمقاطعة أوفرتون مهمة .

تم حرق قاعة المحكمة الأصلية من قبل الكابتن جون فرانسيس ومجموعة من رجال العصابات الكونفدرالية من ولاية كنتاكي في أبريل من عام 1865. وكان من الممكن أن يكون هذا العمل غير المنطقي الذي اقترب من نهاية الحرب الأهلية قد دمر جميع سجلات المقاطعة المبكرة لولا تسجيل المقاطعات للأفعال جيمس ريتشاردسون. كان السيد ريتشاردسون قد أخفى كتب صكوك المقاطعة في قبو منزله. كما تم حفظ عدد قليل من دفاتر السجلات في مكاتب كاتب المقاطعة وكاتب محكمة الدائرة والكاتب والماجستير.


بحث عن لك الأسرة حسب المكان

هل أنت من مقاطعة أوفرتون؟ هل لديك أسلاف من هناك؟ أخبرنا بقصتك!

بحث أخبار يومية تسجيل الدخول / الخروج حسابي شجرة عائلتي متجر كتبي البدء

موقع الأنساب المجاني هذا عبارة عن مجموعة من المساهمات من العديد من أفراد "العائلة" السخيين الذين يرغبون في مشاركة أسرهم مع الآخرين. نحن لا نرتبط بالضرورة بشخص ما أو نبحث عنه لمجرد أن اسمه موجود على هذا الموقع. بينما نبذل قصارى جهدنا لنكون دقيقين ، فإننا نرتكب أخطاء في بعض الأحيان. من فضلك إستعمل هده المعلومة مثل دليل. تحقق من المعلومات بأبحاثك الخاصة. إذا وجدت أي أخطاء ، يرجى مراسلتنا عبر البريد الإلكتروني والإبلاغ عنها. شكرا!


مقاطعة أوفرتون

تم تسميتها تكريما لقاضي ناشفيل جون أوفرتون ، مقاطعة أوفرتون تم اقتطاعها من مقاطعة جاكسون في 12 سبتمبر 1806. بمساحة 434 ميلا مربعا ، تضم المقاطعة المنشأة حديثا كل ما يعرف الآن بمقاطعة فينتريس ، بالإضافة إلى أجزاء من كلاي مقاطعات بوتنام وكمبرلاند وسكوت. وهي تقع على جرف مرتفعات ريم إلى الغرب وهضبة كمبرلاند من الشرق.

قبل إنشاء المقاطعة ، تم استخدام المنطقة كمحمية للصيد من قبل الأمريكيين الأصليين ، وانتهاك التعدي الأبيض على المنطقة المعاهدات القائمة مع الهنود. في مجتمع جبال الألب ، تمت الإشارة إلى سكان الشيروكي باسم & # 8220Nettle Carrier & # 8221 الهنود وكانوا ودودين مع المستكشفين البيض. في عام 1763 ، قام فريق من Long Hunters باستكشاف المنطقة وقاموا بالتخييم لبعض الوقت في الموقع الحالي لـ Waterloo في Spring Creek ولاحقًا على طول نهر Roaring. اختار عدد من الصيادين الطويل البقاء ، مما أثار استياء الشيروكي. في عام 1769 ، تعرض روبرت كروكيت ، أحد رجال التخوم ، لكمين في منطقة أوك هيل وقتل ، ويُزعم أنه أول رجل أبيض يموت في وسط تينيسي.

في عام 1797 ، انتقل الدكتور موسى فيسك المثالي والمتجول إلى المقاطعة. أراد فيسك ، الذي تخرج مؤخرًا من جامعة دارتموث وحصل على ترخيص لممارسة القانون ، ترويض الحياة البرية والسعي إلى تحقيق الحلم الأمريكي. أسس مستوطنة في حلمام ، وهي واحدة من أقدم المجتمعات في المحافظة. فيسك ، اعتقادًا منه أن هيلهام كان المركز الجغرافي للكرة الأرضية بأكملها ، بدأ أربعة طرق تشع من هيلهام في الاتجاهات الأربعة الرئيسية للبوصلة ، مقتنعًا بأن جميع الطرق ستؤدي إلى روما الجديدة في البرية. في عصر هيمنة الذكور ، أنشأت فيسك أكاديمية نسائية & # 8211 واحدة من أوائل المدارس من هذا القبيل في الجنوب بأكمله & # 8211 في هيلهام في عام 1806.

بعد الثورة الأمريكية ، تلقى العديد من قدامى المحاربين منحًا للأراضي من الحكومة الفيدرالية وانتقلوا إلى المنطقة. في عام 1799 ، غادر العقيد ستيفن كوبلاند وابنه & # 8220 Big Jo & # 8221 كينغستون وأسسوا مستوطنة بالقرب من مونرو. عمل كوبلاند على ترتيب مضياف مع رئيس شركة شيروكي Nettle Carrier وسمح له بإنشاء موقع منزلي. شجع نجاحه على مزيد من الاستقرار.

يقع مقر المقاطعة الأول في مونرو في الجزء الشمالي من المقاطعة عند مفترق طرق طريق كنتاكي ستوك والطريق المؤدي إلى دانفيل بولاية كنتاكي. خدم بنيامين توتن كأول كاتب مقاطعة. استحوذ كل من جون سيفير وأندرو جاكسون على ممتلكات في مقاطعة أوفرتون في أماكن مثل مونرو وويندل وأوكلي وإندبندنس وتايلور وأوزون. في عام 1802 ، اكتشف المغامر الفرنسي أندريه ميشو نهر رورينغ وقام برحلة عبر المقاطعة أثناء تحركه غربًا عبر الولاية.

عمل ابن John Sevier & # 8217s ، Samuel Sevier ، كأول طبيب في Upper Cumberland ، وعاشت ابنته جوانا معظم حياتها في مقاطعة Overton ودُفنت في مونرو. انتقلت أرملة سيفير & # 8217s ، & # 8220Bonnie Kate ، & # 8221 إلى مقاطعة أوفرتون في عام 1815 واستقرت في مجتمع ديل. ديل ، أو ليلي ديل ، لم يعد موجودًا. كان المجتمع أحد أولئك الذين غمرتهم المياه لإنشاء بحيرة Dale Hollow Lake ، ومع ذلك فإن اسمها لا يزال قائماً في اختيار اسم البحيرة & # 8217s.

انتقل مقعد المقاطعة من مونرو إلى ليفينجستون في عام 1835 حيث بدأت حركة المرور عبر مونرو في الانخفاض. قام ممثل مقاطعة أوفرتون ، ألفين كولوم ، بتصميم تغيير الموقع. جعلت الطرق الجديدة إلى ليفينغستون ومنطقة التجارة المزدهرة الخيار المنطقي لحكومة المقاطعة و 8217.

على الرغم من أن الكثير من الأراضي في المقاطعة غير مناسبة للزراعة التجارية ، إلا أن مقاطعة أوفرتون لديها عدد من مالكي العبيد. في عام 1860 ، كان ملاك العبيد البالغ عددهم 248 يمتلكون 1087 عبدًا.

على الرغم من أنها كانت خارج نطاق القتال في الحرب الأهلية ، إلا أن مقاطعة أوفرتون لم تتأثر بالحريق الهائل. قبل الكارثة في ميل سبرينغز ، كنتاكي ، والتي أدت إلى وفاته المبكرة ، أقام فيليكس زوليكوفر قواته الكونفدرالية بالقرب من مونرو ودربها. قتل جنود الاتحاد بالرصاص مجموعة من الكونفدراليات في مزرعة أوفرتون ، شمال مونتيري ، في عام 1864. في عام 1865 قام الكابتن جون فرانسيس ومجموعة من رجال حرب العصابات الكونفدرالية بإحراق قاعة المحكمة.

بعد الحرب الأهلية انتقل رجال الأعمال والصناعة إلى المقاطعة. ازدهرت صناعتان للاستخراج ، وهما قطع الأخشاب وتعدين الفحم ، جنبًا إلى جنب. قطع الأشجار مثل & # 8220Uncle Billy & # 8221 Hull ، والد كورديل هال ، حققوا ثروات في نهاية القرن. تم قطع جذوع الأشجار وإما نقلها بالبغال إلى مطاحن & # 8220peckerwood & # 8221 ليتم نشرها وشحنها إلى السوق أو نقلها إلى نهر كمبرلاند لتسليمها في قرطاج أو ناشفيل. تم إنشاء معسكرات الفحم في التلال الوعرة إلى الجنوب والشرق من ليفينغستون. تديرها شركة Fentress Coal and Coke وعائلة Gernt ، شهدت مدن مثل Twinton و Davidson و Wilder و Crawford و Hanging Limb طفرة اقتصادية قصيرة استمرت من تسعينيات القرن التاسع عشر حتى منتصف الثلاثينيات. لم يؤد إضراب وايلدر ديفيدسون بشأن النقابات إلى مقتل المنظم بارني جراهام فحسب ، بل أدى أيضًا إلى تلاشي صناعة الفحم اللين في منطقة كمبرلاند العليا.

تزامنًا مع طفرات قطع الأشجار والفحم ، كان امتداد خطوط السكك الحديدية في المنطقة. ساعدت السكك الحديدية الصناعات الاستخراجية وزادت من التنقل في المنطقة. تم تأسيس Rickman ، ثاني أكبر مجتمع في مقاطعة Overton ، في عام 1900 كرئيس للسكك الحديدية. قدم ريكمان المحطة الوحيدة بين ليفينجستون والجود وأصبح مركزًا اقتصاديًا مزدهرًا نتيجة لذلك. بلغ هذا الازدهار الاقتصادي ذروته في الأربعينيات من القرن الماضي وظل يتضاءل منذ ذلك الحين. كان لمجتمع Rickman مدرسته الثانوية الخاصة به حتى عام 1984 ، عندما تم دمج المدارس وحضر جميع الطلاب في سن المدرسة الثانوية Livingston Academy. أصبح Rickman مجتمع غرفة نوم للمواطنين الذين عملوا إما في Cookeville أو Livingston.

كان مجتمع جبال الألب في مقاطعة أوفرتون موطنًا للحاكم ألبرت إتش روبرتس. كان روبرتس ، حاكمًا تقدميًا ومعلمًا سابقًا ، دورًا أساسيًا في تصديق تينيسي على التعديل التاسع عشر. ومن المفارقات أن هؤلاء النساء اللواتي منحهن روبرتس حق التصويت اختارن التصويت له خارج المنصب عندما ترشح لإعادة انتخابه في عام 1920. أقامت روبرتس حفل زواج بطل الحرب العالمية الأولى ألفين سي يورك وعروسه جرايسي ويليامز في بال مول يونيو 7 ، 1919.

تفتخر المقاطعة بمرافق ترفيهية مهمة: Standing Stone State Park ، والتي بدأت كمشروع حدائق في عصر الصفقة الجديدة ، وأرصفة للقوارب ومخيمات على بحيرة Dale Hollow Lake ، وهو مشروع لفيلق المهندسين بالجيش الأمريكي. تمثل السياحة جزءًا كبيرًا من الدخل السنوي للمقاطعة.

في عام 2000 ، كان عدد سكان مقاطعة أوفرتون حوالي 20118 نسمة ، وكان أقل من 1 في المائة من السكان من غير البيض.


مقاطعة أوفرتون LST-1074 - التاريخ

وليام جيه ألريد الجندي المخضرم الكونفدرالي

ولد ويليام جيه ألريد في 15 يوليو 1842 في مقاطعة أوفرتون تينيسي وتوفي في 20 مايو 1915 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي وتزوج من إليزا جين نيلسون. ولدت في 23 يونيو 1842 في جورجيا وتوفيت في 26 مارس 1921 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي ، ودُفن كلاهما في مقبرة شيلوه الواقعة في مجتمع ألريد في مقاطعة أوفرتون. احصل على نسخة من طلب ويليام لمعاش الحرب الأهلية. كان جد إليزا هو توماس نيلسون من ساوث كارولينا الذي خدم في الحرب الثورية. يمكن رؤية تطبيق ويليام جيه ألريد معاش الحرب الأهلية في دفتر المعاشات التقاعدية.

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

انقر هنا لقراءة المزيد عنه في أرشيفات TN BENNETT، L.B (Levi Burtin BENNETT)
من مواليد 1844 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي
توفي في 16 نوفمبر 1912 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي
خدم شركة 3 ، تينيسي الثامن - تم تجنيده في عام 1862 ، كتيبة G. تم القبض على مقدم الطلب وإطلاق سراحه في ربيع عام 1864. حمل السلاح مرة أخرى مع شركة النقيب روبرتس والعقيد دوجيرتي وكتيبة # 146s حتى القبض على دوجيرتي
زوجة لويزا جيبونز ، تزوجت مارس 1861 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي من قبل دبليو جي ريد

F. G. بيلبري
الشركة: F
الوحدة: 13 (جور) سلاح الفرسان تينيسي.
الرتبة - الاستقراء: خاص
الرتبة - التفريغ: خاص
الولاء: الكونفدرالية

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

شركة F 8th TN Cav. اللواء العام للغابات

وُلد ويليام إتش بيلبري في 8 أبريل 1841 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي وتوفي في 21 فبراير 1927 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. تم دفنه في مقبرة بيت صيدا في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي.

نسخة من طلب معاشه العسكري موجودة في دفتر المعاشات.

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

شركة D 8th TN الفوج

تم تجنيد جيسي في عام 1861 في الكونفدرالية مع النقيب كالفن إي مايرز وخدم 4 سنوات من الحرب.

ولد جيسي واشنطن كارماك في 1 سبتمبر 1841 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي وتوفي في 9 يونيو 1924 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. تم دفنه في مقبرة جبل جلعاد في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

ولد هنري أيه كلارك في 1 فبراير 1825 في مقاطعة فنتريس بولاية تينيسي وتوفي في 12 أغسطس 1909 في مقاطعة بيكيت بولاية تينيسي. كان متزوجًا في 18 سبتمبر 1851 من نانسي ج. كانت ابنة فليمينغ ماكليلان وفيبي (بوليس) ماكليلان. تم دفن كل من هنري ونانسي في مقبرة بولك جاريت في مقاطعة بيكيت بولاية تينيسي. بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

ستيفن ليندر كوبلاند - ولد في 4 مايو 1843 مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. توفيت في 30 يونيو 1916 ناشفيل بولاية تينيسي. حارب في حملة جبل الغش مع مشاة الشركة F 8th TN. هجر في 14/3/1862. أرسل بلاغ مجند وعاد لوحدته بتاريخ 1862/10/10. في 10/8/1862 قاتل في معركة مورفريسبورو. فقدت وحدته 306 من أصل 474 رجلاً. حارب في فرانكلين بولاية تينيسي في 9 / 19-20 / 1863. حارب في تشيكاماوغا ، جورجيا ، حيث أصيب وأُرسل إلى أتلانتا في مهمة منفصلة. حارب في Rocky Face ، GA في 5/9/1864. حارب في معركة ناشفيل في 12 / 15-16 / 1864. خلال الحرب فقد يده وأصيب في رأسه. في وقت لاحق أصيب بمشاكل عقلية وتوفي في مستشفى الدولة المركزي في ناشفيل. كان راتبه العسكري 11 دولارًا في الشهر. بعد وفاته تقدمت زوجته بيثا آن (لين) كوبلاند بطلب للحصول على معاش أرملة جندي بتاريخ 7/10/1916. كان معاش # 6433 وتم قبوله.

توم ميلر - مكمينفيل ، تينيسي
(ستيفن ليندر كوبلاند كان جدي الأكبر)

الفوج الثامن ، مشاة تينيسي

ولد جيمس ماديسون دولورث في حوالي عام 1841 في مقاطعة كمبرلاند بكنتاكي وتوفي حوالي عام 1911 في مقاطعة كلاي على الأرجح بولاية تينيسي على الرغم من أن مقاطعة أوفرتون التي كانت ذات يوم تزوج من ماري & quot؛ بولي & quot؛ كليري.

تقدمت ماري بطلب للحصول على معاش أرملة عسكرية ، ونسخة من طلبها موجودة في دفتر طلب المعاش التقاعدي. بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

J. GUNNELS - لا توجد معلومات أخرى

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

L. H. HAMMOCK - كان في Co. E 13th Cav. سي. ولد في 10 ديسمبر 1840 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي في الأول من ديسمبر عام 1912 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. تزوج من نانسي كوبلاند هاموك ولدت في 23 ديسمبر 1830 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي وتوفيت في 18 مارس 1899 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. كلاهما دفن في مقبرة جي سي مولينز في مقاطعة أوفرتون ، تينيسي

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

ب. هاريس - لا توجد معلومات أخرى

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون الاسم: جون هاريس
محل الإقامة: مقاطعة أوفرتون ، تينيسي
تاريخ التسجيل: 01 ديسمبر 1862
الخدمة المتميزة: خدمة مميزة
يخدم الجانب: الاتحاد
خدم الدولة: إلينوي
أرقام الوحدات: 408
سجل الخدمة: مسجل بصفة خاص في ١ ديسمبر ١٨٦٢
مسجل: السرية C ، فوج المشاة 83 إلينوي في 13 ديسمبر 1862
مسجل: فوج المشاة السادس بولاية تينيسي في 1 أبريل 1863.

ولد William C. & quotBilly & quot HUGHES في 14 ديسمبر 1841 ، التاريخ الموجود على شاهد قبره غير صحيح. توفي في 19 ديسمبر 1917 عن عمر يناهز 86 عامًا. خدم بيلي في فرقة المشاة الخامسة والعشرين. ب. ، تينيسي بصفته جنديًا أصيب في معركة. كان الابن الوحيد لليندر وإيزابيل هيوز. كان بيلي أبًا لعشرة أطفال. كان أيضًا نجارًا وقام بتدريس مدرسة الأحد في مدرسة وكنيسة كونكورد. ساعد في بناء الكثير من المنازل في هيلهام. لقد كان رجلاً لطيفًا رائعًا ومحبًا ومتدينًا جدًا حسب فهمي.
كارين سيبرت - انقر هنا لقراءة المزيد عن خط HUGHES هذا
الصورة من اليمين بمساهمة: كارين سيبرت

الصورة على اليسار بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

وُلد جون هـ. ليا في عام 1846 وتم تجنيده في الكونفدرالية في أغسطس 1864. خدم مع فوج الفرسان الثالث عشر في تينيسي أو سلاح الفرسان ديبريل. بقي مع هذه الوحدة حتى استسلموا في واشنطن ، جورجيا في 11 مايو 1865. حصل كل رجل في الوحدة على 26 دولارًا و 20 دولارًا من الفضة و 6 دولارات من العملات الذهبية من الخزانة الكونفدرالية. تزوج من لورا كيتون في 2 فبراير 1870 ، واستقر في نهاية المطاف في مجتمع هينارد حيث كان يكسب لقمة العيش من خلال الزراعة. توفي John LEA في عام 1923 ، قبل عيد ميلاده السابع والسبعين.

إيليا واشنطن ليدبيتر

ولد إيليا واشنطن ليدبيتر في 26 أكتوبر 1837 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي وتوفي في 28 فبراير 1915 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. تم دفنه في مقبرة عائلة ليدبيتر في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي وتزوج من أناليزا جاريت.

تقدم بطلب للحصول على معاش عسكري ، توجد نسخة من طلب معاشه في مذكرة طلب المعاش. بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

الجندي. توماس ديفيد ماسترز
مولود: 1845-185
مات: 5-20-1912
مقاطعة أوفرتون ، تينيسي
كان يعمل مع فرقة هاملتون الرابعة من فوج الفرسان بولاية تينيسي

ولد Isaac Lafayette & quotFayette & quot McCormick لوالده Tench و Catherine WEST McCormick في 21 فبراير 1833. خدم Lafayette في فوج المشاة الخامس والعشرين من ولاية تينيسي CSA. خلال الحرب الأهلية. ذهب لافاييت إلى الجيش خلال عام 1861 وخدم في السرية إتش تحت قيادة النقيب ريتشاردسون كوبلاند. أدرج لافاييت ميل سبرينغز أو فيشينج كريك كأول معركته. وذكر أنه قاتل في شيلو ومورفريسبورو وبيريفيل وآخرين. ظل مع 25 حتى استسلمت الوحدة في Appomattox Court House ، Virginia في أبريل 1865.

إيليا موليس وأمبير ماري بولي (هاموك) مولز

خدم إيليا في 8th KY Cav.

لدى كل من إيليا وبولي طلبات معاشات تقاعدية متعلقة بالحرب الأهلية. يمكن رؤية النسخ في دفتر طلبات المعاشات التقاعدية.

ولد إيليا موليس في 28 فبراير 1845 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي وتوفي في 20 أغسطس 1916 مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. تزوج إيليا من ماري بولي هاموك من مواليد 18 نوفمبر 1845 وتوفي في 13 سبتمبر 1931 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. كلاهما دفن في مقبرة أوكالونا في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون ولد Elvin K. MOREDOCK في يناير 1842 في مقاطعة أوفرتون ، نجل جون توماس موردوك وإليزابيث ليندر. كان توبياس موردوك ، أحد أوائل المستوطنين في المنطقة ، هو جده. خدم إلفين في الفوج الخامس والعشرين ، مشاة تينيسي الذي تم تنظيمه في معسكر زوليكوفر بالقرب من ليفينجستون. الحفيدة الكبرى ، نيفاجين ألموندرود روبرتس ، كتبت في تاريخ مقاطعة أوفرتون: & quot ؛ جند إلفين في الجيش الكونفدرالي تحت قيادة العقيد سيدني ستانتون. بعد ستة أشهر كان في معركة ميل سبرينغز ، كنتاكي ، حيث هُزموا. قاتل في المعارك في مورفريسبورو وتشيكاماوغا ، تينيسي ، وكذلك في المعارك في ريتشموند وبطرسبورغ ، فيرجينيا. كما خدم ثلاثة أو أربعة أشهر تحت قيادة الجنرال روبرت إي لي في فيرجينيا. أصيب في يده اليسرى أثناء الحرب وأصيب بإصابة دائمة. & quot ؛ تزوج إلفين من سارة إي وينتون في عام 1865 وأنجب أربعة أطفال. توفي في ليفينغستون في 17 يونيو 1932 - ساهم به ريتشارد موردوك

جوزيف مايكل الأمة ب. 17 مارس 1836 توفي في 28 يونيو 1907 تزوج كريستينيا & quotAnnie & quot RIDDLE ب. 10 سبتمبر 1833 توفي في 11 يناير 1923 دفن كلاهما في مقبرة الزمالة في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. & quotA & quot Cumberland KY Catl. غردس

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

Starling NEAL (NEEL) ولد عام 1810 ، مقاطعة واين ، كنتاكي وتوفي في 4 نوفمبر 1867 مقاطعة أوفرتون ، تينيسي وتزوج من كيزيا هانا راينز. ولدت عام 1810 في مقاطعة واين بولاية كنتاكي وتوفيت في ديسمبر 1889 بمقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. تم دفن كلاهما في مقبرة نيل / براون ، فلات كريك ، مقاطعة أوفرتون ، تينيسي. كان جنديًا في شركة الكابتن جي آر كوبلاند ، الفوج 25 ، مشاة TN.
التحق في 5 أغسطس 1861 وخرج من الخدمة في 7 أبريل 1864.

B. NEELY - لا توجد معلومات أخرى

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

D.H. نيلسون - لا توجد معلومات أخرى

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

فرانسيس ماريون بادجيت وأمبير ماري م. (سيلز) بادجيت

كان في شركة D. 1st TN Inf.

ولد فرانسيس ماريون بادجيت أبت. 1844 في تينيسي وتوفيت في 22 مايو 1919 في شركة بيكيت. تزوجت تينيسي في 16 يونيو 1892 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي من ماري إم سيلز ، ولدت في 26 مارس 1867 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي وتوفيت في 14 يونيو 1906 في مقاطعة بيكيت ، تينيسي. كلاهما دفن في مقبرة بادجيت في مقاطعة بيكيت بولاية تينيسي. بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

الرقيب جيمس فوريستر باروت

28 المشاة الموحدة

أصيب السيد باروت في أسفل ساقه في فرانكلين ، تينيسي. تطلبت هذه الإصابة بتر ساقه. بعد الحرب ، قُتل السيد باروت في ممتلكاته الخاصة عام 1868. ودُفن في مقبرة الضابط في مقاطعة أوفرتون.

شركة B 25th TN Inf. وبعد ذلك شركة A 8th TN Cav.

ولد جون فرانكلين & quotFrank & quot POSTON في 30 يناير 1839 في شركة Overton Co. TN وتوفي في 7 يونيو 1914 في مقاطعة Overton بولاية تينيسي ودُفن في مقبرة Falling Springs. تزوج للمرة الثانية من Artelia ALLRED (في الصورة الأكبر) مع ابنته سالي. ولدت Artelia ALLRED حوالي عام 1843 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي وتوفيت في 18 فبراير 1915. ودُفنت في مقبرة ألريد.

تقدم جون بطلب للحصول على معاش عسكري للجندي وبعد وفاته تقدمت أرتيليا بوستون بطلب للحصول على معاش أرملة وكلا هذين الطلبين موجودان في دفتر طلب المعاش التقاعدي. بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

وليام جيسون رامسي
معاش CSA # W8922
تم تجنيده في ليفينجستون ، مقاطعة أوفرتون ، تينيسي في 5 أغسطس 1861 ، شركة H 25th Tennessee Infantry CSA
يُظهر Muster roll من 5 أغسطس إلى 31 أكتوبر 1861 ، بتاريخ 27 ديسمبر 1861 ، أنه غادر المنزل مريضًا في 5 نوفمبر 1861. لم يعد بعد. خاص.
يظهره Muster Roll بتاريخ 7 أبريل 1864.
تم تسريحه في 30 يناير 1862 ، خاص
من مواليد 12 أبريل 1838 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي ، ابن بنيامين وإليندر ومثل نيلي ومثل ديشمان رامسي ، وتوفي في 21 يوليو 1903. توفي في غرق عرضي في نهر كلافكيلر ودفن في مقبرة كنيسة كورينث ، مقاطعة وايت ، تينيسي. تزوج إليزابيث كولينز الفرنسية في 26 أبريل 1857 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي.

المعلومات التي ساهم بها تامي رمزي

أندرو جاكسون ريد
(ب) 6 يناير 1838 ، مقاطعة أوفرتون ، تينيسي
د 10 نوفمبر 1918 ، مقاطعة أوفرتون ، تينيسي
مقبرة أوكالونا المدفونة ، مقاطعة أوفرتون ، تينيسي
خاص ، شركة ماكهنري ، فوج المشاة الثامن عشر في تينيسي المسمى على اسم الجنرال أندرو جاكسون الذي خدم معه والده (جيسي إيمرسون ريد) في حرب عام 1812 وتزوج ثلاث مرات ، و 14 طفلاً. حصلت أرملته على قيد الحياة ، إليزابيث هيكس ، على معاش # W10363

الصورة بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

المعلومات بمساهمة: إيفلين ريد

Henry ROAM / ROAME
شركة PVT A. 48 مشاة Regt Missouri
مقاطعة بورن أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي
انضم في 30 يوليو 1864 في وينسفيل بولاية ميسوري
غادر المرضى في الجنرال Hospt. في ناشفيل ، تينيسي 1 يناير 1865
العيون: أزرق
الشعر: خفيف
معرض بشرة
ارتفاع: 5 & quot9 '

الصفحة 1 إعلان
معاش الأرامل
ملفات الحرب الأهلية - لم يتم العثور على معاش

وظيفة (جوبي) ROAM
التحق عام 1861 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي
كتيبة أوليفر هاميلتونز
توفي في 13 أكتوبر 1914 في مقاطعة سيباستيان ، أركنساس

شركة د ريج الثالث. Ky Vol. المشاة. و Ky 9th Tenn Cav.

ولد ديفيد ليندر سيلز في 10 أكتوبر 1835 في مقاطعة فنتريس بولاية تينيسي وتوفي في 14 مايو 1908 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. تزوج في 1 فبراير 1866 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي من سارة أماندا ستوفر ولدت في 11 ديسمبر 1848 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي في 26 أكتوبر 1922 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي. كلاهما دفن في مقبرة سيلز.

طلب الحصول على معاش عسكري موجود في دفتر طلب المعاش التقاعدي. بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون الاسم: جيمس سيمبسون
محل الإقامة: مقاطعة أوفرتون ، تينيسي
الخدمة المتميزة: خدمة مميزة
خدم الجانب: الكونفدرالية
خدم الدولة: فرجينيا
سجل الخدمة: مسجل بصفة خاصة
تم الإفراج المشروط عنه في 28 أبريل 1865 في كمبرلاند جاب ، كنتاكي
الارتفاع: 5'4 & quot
لون العين: أزرق
لون الشعر: بني
لون البشرة: فاتح

كان William R. STONE جنديًا كونفدراليًا من شركة Clay (ثم Overton) ، وقد خدم في الحرب الأهلية ، وتقدم بطلب للحصول على معاش تقاعدي ، # S2111 ، Clay Co. ، TN. تم تقديم طلبه في 17 أغسطس ، 1899. وفي وقت تقديم الطلب ، صرح بأنه مقيم في Oakley، Clay Co.، TN. أنه ولد في شركة أوفرتون ، تينيسي. في عام 1826. التحق في مايو 1861 في شركة الكابتن جيمس ماكهنري ، فوج العقيد جون بي موراي. وذكر أنه في وقت تقديم الطلب كان معاقًا تمامًا بسبب الروماتيزم الناتج عن التعرض للعوامل أثناء الخدمة الفعلية. تم قبوله في قائمة المعاشات بمعاش شهري قدره 8.33 دولارًا أمريكيًا 1/3. (يقول شاهد قبره أنه ولد في 27 مارس 1827).
بعد وفاته في 4 ديسمبر 1899 ، تقدمت أرملته مارجريت فليمينغ ستون بطلب. تم تقديم طلب معاشها كأرملة لجندي كونفدرالي في 5 يونيو 1906. وذكر أنها تعيش في ويلو جروف ، شركة كلاي ، تينيسي. أن اسمها قبل الزواج كان Fleming حيث ولدت عام 1833 في Surry Co.، NC التي عاشت فيها في ولاية تينيسي. منذ حوالي عام 1847 كان اسم زوجها ويليام ر. ستون ، ولد حوالي عام 1827 وتزوجا في 19 يونيو 1853 في شركة أوفرتون ، تينيسي. بواسطة سكوير روس أوفرستريت. ذكرت أن زوجها توفي في 4 ديسمبر 1899 في شركة كلاي ، تينيسي. ذكرت أنها أم لتسعة أطفال ، جميعهم من الفتيات. ولقي أربعة حتفهم وقت تقديم طلب المعاش وكان خمسة منهم على قيد الحياة. ولدت أصغر أبنائها حوالي عام 1866. وكان طلبها # W1531.

أمبروز سوليفان بي. أبت. 1821 سميث كاونتي بولاية تينيسي توفي في 13 يوليو 1908 وتزوج في 4 أبريل 1869 إلى لي آن راي ب. أبت. توفي عام 1848 بعد عام 1920 مدفونًا بمقبرة سوليفان في مقاطعة كلاي بولاية تينيسي - وكان في شركة D 25th Tennessee Inf.

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون العريف الأول أندرو جاكسون يبتلع
شركة ه الثامن من فوج الفرسان بولاية تينيسي

مقدم من قبل حفيده الأكبر جوي بي كينج

انضم رالي ثومبسون إلى الجيش الكونفدرالي في أواخر عام 1862 كعضو في قيادة تينيسي أو بي هاملتون ، والتي تسمى أحيانًا كتيبة هاملتون أو كتيبة شو. في فبراير 1863 ، سارت قيادة هاملتون إلى فلورنسا ، ألاباما وانضمت إلى لواء الجنرال فورست. تم إرفاق العديد من قيادة هاملتون بكاف ديبريل الثامن. . E. وقد خدم حتى الاستسلام وعاد إلى مقاطعة Overton ، تينيسي وأصبح طبيبًا ريفيًا بارزًا في المقاطعات الأولى والثانية من مقاطعة Overton.

ولد رالي جيه تومسون في 16 أبريل 1832 في مقاطعة هامبلن بولاية تينيسي في 6 فبراير 1903 في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي ودُفن في مقبرة دودسون تشابل في مقاطعة أوفرتون بولاية تينيسي.

نسخة من طلب معاشه العسكري موجودة في دفتر المعاشات.

بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

ألفين ب.فاوجن ، فوج المشاة 37 الخيالة في كنتاكي ، الاتحاد
ركب ألفين حصانه إلى كنتاكي وانضم إلى جيش الاتحاد في 6 أكتوبر 1863. تم تجنيده في السرية F من فوج المشاة 37 كنتاكي الخيالة.
خدم هذا الفوج كقوة مانعة للغارة على ولاية كنتاكي من قبل المهاجم الكونفدرالي جون هانت مورغان. بعد انتهاء هذه الحملة في خريف عام 1864 ، انتقل الفوج إلى جنوب غرب فيرجينيا وخاض معارك في أبينجدون وسالتفيل. عاد الفوج بعد ذلك إلى كنتاكي وتم حشد القوات من الجيش. تم تسريح ألفين في لويزفيل في 29 ديسمبر 1864. خلال فترة الخدمة ، عانى الفوج من ثماني حالات وفاة مرتبطة بالمعركة و 106 حالات وفاة مرتبطة بالأمراض. في الصورة مع ألفين زوجته الثانية ، Uretha COPELAND VAUGHN.

ولدت بليزانت ويلبورن في 15 ديسمبر 1841 وتوفيت في 11 يناير 1892 وتزوج من سارة أوفيليا ويليامز وتوفيت في 21 يوليو 1908 ودُفن كلاهما في مقبرة سانت جون في مقاطعة كلاي بولاية تينيسي. على الرغم من أن مقاطعة أوفرتون.

ربما كان ضابطا رفيع المستوى من مقاطعة أوفرتون وربما خدم في مجلس وزراء جيفرسون ديفيس. على الرغم من أن هناك حاجة إلى مزيد من البحث لإثبات هذه الحقائق. بمساهمة: رون ديشمان - مؤرخ مقاطعة أوفرتون

معلومات اضافية:

التعداد 1880 المنطقة 10 ، مقاطعة كلاي ، تينيسي
رقم الصفحة 302D
رجاء. WILBORN Self M Male W 38 KY Farmer KY KY
Ophelia WILBORN Wife M Female W 36 KY Keeping House KY KY
George WILBORN Son S Male W 13 TN At School KY KY
Hayes WILBORN Son S Male W 5 TN KY KY
William WILBORN Father M Male W 79 KY Retired Farmer SC SC
Elizabeth WILBORN Mother M Female W 75 KY NC NC
Sarah MCCLLELAND Other S Female W 13 KY Servant KY KY

Hiram G. WORLEY Jr. b. June 3 1839 d. May 17 1915 buried in Booher Cemetery in Overton County Tennessee - married Mary Rebecca BOOHER b. May 16 1839 d. Aug. 16 1922. He was in Co. E 117th IN Inf


NOTICE:

It is with great sadness that we regretfully inform you that the 2021 Overton County Fair has been cancelled.

We hope to see you at the 2021 Overton County Fair!

According to information published in 1874 there was held in Livingston an Agriculture Association Fair before the War Between the States. This fair ceased operate during the war and had not been revived in 1874. This fairground was located west of the town at that time on lands now located just north of the present county nursing home on Bilbrey Street. These early fairs were held in connection with horse races. The showing of fine horses was one of the special attractions and the sessions of the fair drew large crowds.

Agricultural and Mechanical Fair

The Overton County Agricultural and Mechanical Fair was organized in Livingston in 1882. This fair ground was located in the western part of the town on either side of current Bilbrey Street. The plot for the fair grounds was surveyed in 1883. Col. John M. Barrett was the first president and Hudson S. Estes was the secretary and treasurer. Fairs were held regularly for 19 years at this fair ground and were attended by large crowds from Overton and surrounding counties and from Kentucky. The exhibits on display were numerous and represented with credit the agricultural and mechanical development of the county at that time period. The brass bands and fine horses shown were special attractions at these fairs.

An early account of a catalog of the fourteenth annual exhibition of this fair held on October 1,2,3, 1896 shows the following officers Elihu Wells president, J.N. Cannon vice president, L.N. Oakley secretary and treasurer, R. A. Dale, general superintendent, the directors were L.D. Bohannon, W. J. Matthews Jr., R. L. Mitchell Jr., Thomas W. Carlock and A. F. Eldridge. John Cook was ticket agent, J.P. Bilbrey and Thomas Richards keepers of the stock gate, J.W. Hall keeper of the ring gate and J.J. Phillips keeper of the foot gate the admission was 25 cents.

The Overton County Agricultural Fair

Down thru the years Overton County has held a number of agricultural fairs in Livingston. These fairs were usually held on the grounds of Livingston Academy with little general plan for the arrangement of the various exhibits and displays. The money for the premium lists of these fairs was usually donated by business men of the town with a small amount of State aid to fairs. The Overton County Agricultural Free Fair was reorganized in 1938 and this fair drifted along for a few years with just the usual amount of support and interest with little shown for a few years during World War II.

New Fair Ground is purchased 1949

The Overton County Court which met in quarterly session on October 1949 voted to appropriate the sum of $12,000.00 to purchase a tract of land erect buildings and build a grandstand. A tract of land was purchased in South Livingston from Chancellor A.F. Pat Officer and suitable buildings were erected. The first fair at this was held in 1950. One of the special features was the showing of the livestock. Interest in fairs in this county was revived large exhibits were on display and large crowds attended the sessions. The Overton County court which met on October 8, 1962 voted to sell the fair grounds due to a new fair ground being secured. The land was sold to the Cumberland Manufacturing Co. for the price of $7,500.00 as a location for building a new furniture manufacturing plant.

Civitan Club Gives Lands for Fair Grounds (Current Location)

The Livingston Civitan Club presented to the county court on September 6, 1962 a deed to 40 acre tract of land located on the Monterey highway on which to build a county fair. This land had been purchased by Civitan Club from Bradley Qualls in 1961 for the sum of $14,000.00. The Overton County Court voted $25,000.00 in bonds at the April term 1963 to be used in construction of buildings and improving the new fair grounds. A contract was let by this court to Byrd Dillon a local contractor on the low bid of $16,890.00 to erect a grandstand and other buildings on the newly acquired fair grounds. The Women’s building was erected in 1972 through the efforts of Mrs. Raleigh Needham and an appropriation by the county court. The horse shows and showing of fine cattle are now and have been the special attractions of this ongoing fair.

Sources for the above information were Ronald Dishman, Robert & Mary Eldridge and other sources.


Find Overton County Property Records

Overton County Property Records are real estate documents that contain information related to real property in Overton County, Tennessee. Public Property Records provide information on homes, land, or commercial properties, including titles, mortgages, property deeds, and a range of other documents. They are maintained by various government offices in Overton County, Tennessee State, and at the Federal level. They are a valuable tool for the real estate industry, offering both buyers and sellers detailed information about properties, parcels and their owners.


Where is Thomas Mitchell Overton now?

Police reports delineating the details surrounding the MacIvors&apos murders are equal parts chilling, infuriating, and horrifying. The couple were discovered by concerned neighbors and coworkers who inspected them in their Tavernier Key house. Michael&aposs body lay in the living room with evidence of a struggle. His head was covered with masking tape and his nose was exposed. A spot of blood was on his shoulder, there was bruising on his neck, and blood seeped from his nostrils.

His wife Susan, who was eight months pregnant, was found completely naked in the master bedroom. Her wrists and ankles were tied with a belt, which was further bounded together with masking tape and clothesline rope. Another belt connected her ankles and wrist. Overton had made a garrote with a black sash and a necktie taken from the MacIvors&apos dresser.

A light examination revealed semen stains on the sheets and on Susan&aposs body medical examinations concluded that their baby boy had survived for approximately 30 minutes after she died, and he had attempted to breathe on his own before death.

A .22 caliber shell casing was found on the floor and there was a bullet hole in the bedroom curtain, outside of the home, signs of careful planning on Overton&aposs part were eminent.

Overton was an experienced cat burglar and used his knowledge of breaking into homes in order to get the drop on the MacIvors. Two witness testimonies had contributed greatly to the conviction of Overton, who was already a person of interest for his criminal past by authorities. The first witness, William Guy Green, said that Overton had admitted to him that he committed a home burglary in a wealthy Florida Keys neighborhood.

Monsters Among Us: Thomas Mitchell Overton killed Michael and Susan "Missy" MacIvor, sentenced to death http://t.co/faJTFxAJ2S

— mylifeofcrime (@mylifeofcrime) October 9, 2013

Overton worked at an Amoco gas station just a few minutes away from the MacIvors&apos house, and reports state that he had revealed all of the details behind how he carried out the crime to Monroe County Jail inmate James Zientek. He did so as part of a plan to obfuscate the investigation: Zientek would attribute the story to another inmate to try and create reasonable doubt in Overton&aposs favor.

Overton revealed that he had broken into the MacIvors&apos home with the intention of raping Susan, whom he had come across at the gas station where he worked. He described her demeanor as "hot and cold," and that some days she would be nice to him while other days she was, as Overton stated, "b---hy."


Tennessee Coal Mining, Railroading, and Logging in Cumberland, Fentress, Overton and Putnam Counties

This photo was taken around 1919 in the Twin Mine in the Twinton area of Overton County. The Wilder Seam is about five feet thick near Twin and was productive for over 50 years. Much of the coal mined in Putnam, Overton, and Fentress Counties, Tennessee has been from the Wilder Seam. (Photo from The Coal Reserves of Tennessee by Edward Luther)

The Overton / Fentress / Putnam Mining Chronicles

September 24, 1998 By Jason Duke

Not many people remember the sound of steam engines rumbling through Monterey, Crawford, Twinton, and Wilder. Those that do have stories to tell of a time that may soon be forgotten if we fail to properly preserve that rich history. It was not that long ago that small cities bustled with activity and electric lights on the Cumberland Plateau. The cities we are talking about are not Cookeville or Crossville or the booming Upper Cumberland cities of today. Instead, they were Crawford, Twinton (Twin or Twin City), Cooktown, Cravenstown, Davidson, Highland Junction, Wilder, and Monterey.

What was the source of all this activity? Why did some people have electricity in Crawford, Twinton, and Wilder thirty to forty years before other parts of Overton, Fentress, and Putnam Counties? The answer to these questions are the coal mines and railroad. The mines attracted thousands of people to the plateau region via the new railroad. Trains that ran as early as 1901 brought mail and other goods from Nashville into the previously unreachable areas of Overton and Fentress Counties. Active mining production in the area began in 1901 in Overton County. Mining had been conducted as early as 1850 in Fentress County, but the lack of suitable transportation to markets kept mining from commercializing until after 1900. The coal shipped from Overton, Fentress, and Putnam Counties would help fuel the nation's industries through two World Wars and the Korean War. The same coal would also be used to help TVA provide electricity to rural areas in the Southeast. That coal also heated homes, churches, businesses, and schools throughout the area and the state.

Coal mining and its benefit to our way of life today can easily be seen. What is more difficult to see are the many people who ran the mines, commissaries, hotels, and mined the coal. Many people risked their lives daily by simply going to work. In today's modern society, very few of us can comprehend what it mentally takes to go to work in a world of darkness without the guarantee of ever seeing the sun or your family again. In the following weeks, I will begin to chronicle the histories and stories of these brave people as well as the communities in which they lived.

If you ever worked in the mines or in a related area such as commissaries, mining area hotels, etc. and would care to share your story, I would like to hear about it. Also, if you have any mining photographs or memorabilia from the era, I can copy them at your residence with a computer scanner to be included in the book. Any materials used will be promptly returned as they have in the past by me. Mining scrip, maps, and other materials are also useful. Even just one old photo means a lot. Please share them so they can be enjoyed by others.

Five years ago, I began to research the history of coal mining in Overton County. My research quickly grew to encompass Fentress and Putnam County mining as well. What was once two or three pages has now grew to hundreds of pages and is becoming a book that will be called The History of Coal Mining in Overton, Fentress, and Putnam Counties, Tennessee. This book will be placed in the libraries of the schools and communities in the area. It will also be printed and sold to the public for the cost of reproduction only. The book will contain photos and stories of mining and railroading from 1850 until about 1968. Over forty pictures have been copied thus far and more will be copied soon.

Contact Jason Duke at 931-823-8616 and please leave a message if there is not an answer. My mailing address is 266 Duke Lane, Livingston, TN 38570. All photos and materials will be returned promptly.



John Ledbetter, Uncle to Theb Garrett, outside of one of the Wilder openings about 1934. Photo courtesy of Theb Garrett.

The Overton / Fentress Mining Chronicles

April 16, 1998 By Jason Duke

Many articles have been written over the years about the history of the coal mining industry in the Upper Cumberlands. From those, one can learn a lot about the mines and the towns, as well as the difficult times faced by many residents. Equally as important as the histories of the industry are the stories of the thousands of individuals who labored in the mines. Many of my articles will feature them and highlight their contributions to mining in the area. The first of these articles features Thelbert (Theb) Garrett of the Hanging Limb community in Overton County.

Theb Garrett was born May 2, 1926, son of Tom Garrett, a miner in Wilder. Many of Theb's relatives made a living working in the mines. Work was not plentiful outside of the mines on the Cumberland Plateau except for farming or in the few rock quarries or sawmills in the area. He started his 13-year career in mining at the Cub Mountain Coal Company at the age of 18 in 1944. For three years, Theb worked at loading coal and assisting in the mine. World War II had once again brought some form of prosperity to the area mines that had suffered so greatly during the Depression years. In 1947, Theb moved on to the Buckeye Coal Company located at the top of Cub Mountain on the Twin side. He remembers the Buckeye area being a small community with a store and several houses around.

The Buckeye mine was like most of the mines in Overton and Fentress County by being a drift mine. A drift mine enters the side of a mountain or slope at a relatively flat angle and remains horizontal, following the coal seam. The best producing seam in Overton and Fentress County is the Wilder Seam, with most of the coal being about 180 feet beneath the surface of the plateau. Drift mines were the prominent choice for mining up until the 1950's and could be found in nearly every hollow in coal country.

Theb opened a small mine with his father-in-law, Tommy Looper, in 1949 and continued to operate it until he got a job with the Allred and Brown Coal Company for 1952 and 1953. In 1954 and 1955, Theb worked in what were called morse camps over in Fentress County. Morse camps were old mines where the person that owned the mineral rights allowed anyone that wanted to mine the remaining coal and pay a royalty per ton. The Gernt family owned the rights to the mines that Theb worked in near Wilder.

Wilder was playing out in the 1950's. Fentress Coal and Coke had pulled out all of its Wilder operations and had moved on to Monterey in Putnam County, hoping to get some production out of its mine there. Theb's last job in the mines was with Mountain Land Products from 1955-1957. It was then that he had to "retire" from the mines after developing Black Lung, which most miners developed after years of breathing coal dust. Black Lung can develop in as little as 10 years, and many people that never worked in the mines, but lived near them, developed it from breathing the thick sulfur smoke and coal dust in mining towns.

Theb's memories of mining are pleasant in that he would still rather work in the mines than anywhere else he has worked in his life. He admitted that it was somewhat dirty and nasty but he really enjoyed the work. Most of the coal Theb would haul from the mines was mine run (egg, lump, stoker, and block mixed together). The Love and Amos Coal Company of Nashville would buy most of the coal from the small mines in the area at that time for $3 to $5 per ton. Theb worked in seams as thick as 6 feet in places on Cub Mountain and some as thin as 32 inches.

Theb noted that Hanging Limb and Crawford capitalized on the coal industry by each having a hotel for the travelers riding the "jitney" passenger train through the towns. Crawford had rows of section houses that miners and non-miners owned or rented. Numerous stores were throughout the area as the areas surrounding the mines themselves prospered when the mines did.

The author wishes to thank Theb, his daughter Joyce, and the rest of his family for all of the help they provided.

As always, if anyone has any photos or mining information they can share, please contact me. I am always interested in interviewing miners and their families and would like to include all stories and photos possible in the History of Coal Mining in Overton and Fentress Counties book I am writing. Even just a photo, old map, or piece of scrip helps. Contact Jason Duke at 931-823-8616 and please leave a message if there is not an answer. My mailing address is 266 Duke Lane, Livingston, TN 38570. All photos and materials will be returned promptly.

Jonathan Allred in the machine shop at the ABC Mines in Monterey in 1949. He is talking to one of the miners down in the mine.

The tipple that Jonathan constructed at Monterey in 1947. The hole in the ramp leading to the tipple was for removing rocks from the coal.

The Overton / Fentress Mining Chronicles

April 23, 1998 By Jason Duke

One of the most popular former mine operators living today is eighty-seven-year-old Jonathan Allred of Crawford, TN. His mining career spanned 30 years from 1937 to 1967. Jonathan is well respected by all that have worked for him and know him. His contributions to the mining industry over the years are apparent from the discussions one has with anyone living in the area.

Jonathan got his start in mining by opening a mine on Bear Knob in Overton County, near the top of Cub Mountain. Getting to the mine was no easy job, and he constructed a one-mile road over the rough terrain over to the newer Highway 85 (it was then) that goes up Cub Mountain to Twinton from Allred. A tipple also had to be constructed, and a long chute was made to run coal down into the tipple. Since he was just getting started in mining, Jonathan had to settle for bar screens instead of the better shaker screens for sorting coal.

Tipples were necessary for virtually every mine. The purpose of a tipple is to provide a place for the loading of coal into either railroad cars or into large dump trucks. A good tipple was one of a mine's biggest assets. For instance, during the Wilder Strike of 1932-1933, one of the more noteworthy events was the burning of the tipple at the Patterson Brothers' mine at Davidson. The tipple was worth $20,000 dollars in 1932 (about $250,000 today). It is almost impossible to load coal without a tipple and the loss of one would shut a mine down.

Shaker screens were used for sorting coal. Coal came out of the mines in what was called mine run and consisted of all sizes of coal. The different types of coal are: block (lump) – 6 inch blocks and up, egg – 3 to 6 inch blocks of coal, nut – 1 ½ to 3 inch blocks of coal, stoker – ¾ to 1 ½ inch blocks of coal, and steam – ¾ inch and smaller blocks of coal.

Jonathan also did some work in the old Brier Hill Colleries mines at Twinton with Alvin Owens in 1938. He never got much production out of the Bear Knob mine, so he closed it in 1939 and partnered with W. Burris (W.B) Brown to form the A&B Coal Company. They opened their mine in the hollow off to the right of Highway 85 as you get to the top of the plateau on Cub Mountain. The mine works were extensive enough at A&B that they cut back into the old Brier Hill Colleries Crawford mines and hit bad air. Jonathan remembers the situation as "When you hit bad air, an open flame will start to smoke a bit. When it started doing that, you had better get to backing up and getting out of it. After that, your knees would start to get weak and a man could lose consciousness."

At A&B, they did a lot of robbing in the old mine works. In large rooms, they would pull three or four pillars on each side along with the entry stumps until they got a fall. This was extremely dangerous work, but very rewarding since these were prior-mined areas with five- and six-foot coal seams. Cave-ins happened frequently in the old mine works. "If you've never been in the mines, then you can't imagine the feeling you get when the timbers start cracking and you hear this low thunder and see the cap boards start cutting and ripping. You had either better get moving out or get behind a pillar of coal if you can't. A fall always caused a right smart wind because nearly all of them broke clean to the surface, 180 feet up." Jonathan always said "Coal mining wasn't any safer than the people that worked in them".

When the Brier Hill Colleries went bankrupt in the 1930s, A&B bought about 2800 acres with 41 houses at Twinton, which they later sold. Jonathan remembers that Fentress Coal & Coke (Wilder) only had about 9,100 acres of land and the Brier Hill Colleries (Crawford and Twinton) had over 100,000 acres.

In 1947, A&B drilled nine test holes about five miles east of Monterey near Meadow Creek into a six-foot seam of coal. They put in a slope mine that was on a 16-degree angle that went into a 16-foot-wide shaft. New partners were added to the company to make the name the ABC Coal Company. Jonathan's brother Bud Allred and his brother-in-law H. Gentry Copeland joined him and W.B. بنى. The Monterey mine was a huge success and was sold to Bill Turner Ray in October 1954. Bill Turner Ray later sold the mine to the Blue Diamond Coal Company, who ran the mine until their TVA contract expired, leaving approximately 10 million tons still in the ground there.

From there, Jonathan worked with the Love & Amos Coal Company of Nashville and bought coal from local mines and inspected them for the company to ensure that they could produce a certain tonnage. Coil Copeland and Jonathan bought Mr. Amos out and started shipping the coal from the 18 local mines still operating to TVA in 1957 and 1958. From 1960 to 1962, Jonathan worked for a coal company he was part owner in on the Cumberland River in East Kentucky near Balkan, Pineville, and Harlan. He finished his mining career by returning to Overton County to build tipples for local mines until the railroad ceased operation about 1967.

As always, if anyone has any photos or mining information they can share, please contact me. I am always interested in interviewing miners and their families and would like to include all stories and photos possible in the History of Coal Mining in Overton and Fentress Counties book I am writing. Even just a photo, old map, or piece of scrip helps. Contact Jason Duke at 931-823-8616 and please leave a message if there is not an answer. My mailing address is 266 Duke Lane, Livingston, TN 38570. All photos and materials will be returned promptly.



This photo was taken of the Brier Hill Colleries Twin Mine in 1919. Approximately 300 people were employed by this mine. At the front left is the powerhouse. Behind it is the bathhouse. The building with Twin Mine painted on it houses the automatic tipples. The long building in the center of the picture houses the other tipples. The two buildings in the front right comprise the machine shop. Gentry Copeland’s father once worked in these buildings. The long row of timbers were used for roof supports in the mine. At the back right is the commissary. If you look closely, you will notice a row of men in white shirts standing in front of the commissary. This mine was located just north of present-day Twinton on the road to Cravenstown.
(Photo courtesy of June Evans)

The Overton / Fentress Mining Chronicles

April 30, 1998 By Jason Duke

In order to help understand the history of mining in Overton and Fentress Counties, it helps to first know a little about the history of the area. This article will detail some of the early history with more to follow in the future. Next week will feature the story of another former miner from the area. Please continue to call me if you or someone you know ever mined in the area so you can be included as well.

Overton County lies on the northwestern side of the Northern Tennessee Coal Field. It is bordered on the east by Fentress County, on the south by Putnam County, on the west by Jackson County, and on the north by Clay and Pickett Counties. The county contains 277,312 acres, or about 433 square miles. This region is characterized by a bold, rugged mountain topography, having an altitude range of 700 to 2,000 feet. About two-thirds of the county lies on the Highland Rim, with the other third of the county lying on the Cumberland Plateau. The northwestern portion of the county lies on the Highland Rim. It is a broad, gently rolling plain, and has an altitude varying from 900 to 1,000 feet. The plain is often broken by low, rolling hills.

All drainage in the county is toward the Cumberland River, which lies several miles to the west of the county. The main rivers and streams draining the county are the Roaring River, West Fork Obey River, East Fork Obey River, Spring Creek, Big Eagle Creek, Mill Creek, and Mitchell Creek.

A permanent settlement in Overton County was first established in 1800 at Hilham. Some settlements closer to present-day Livingston had also occurred, but their exact date is not known. Hunters had been passing through the area for several years before the first settlement had been made. The county officially organized in 1806. The county seat was established at Monroe in 1810 and moved to Livingston, the present-day county seat, in 1835.

Overton County was prosperous in its early years and compared favorably with other sections of the state up to the era of railroad construction in the 1860's. Railroads favored the more level areas of the state and tended to avoid the hilly, mountainous terrain of Overton County. This brought about a slow retrogression that lasted up to about 1900. The first railroad entered the county from Monterey to Crawford in 1901. In 1906, the Overton County Railroad was built from Algood to Livingston and gave Livingston a market for its goods. The Algood-Livingston line was pulled up in the 1960's when the demand for the railroad diminished. The Monterey-Crawford-Wilder line suffered the same fate in the 1960's, too. No railroads operate in Overton County today.

Overton County has a mild, pleasant climate and seldom experiences very hot or very cold temperatures. The summer months have warm days and cool nights. Some snow falls in winter, but it never remains on the ground for more than a week. The average yearly temperature is about 57 degrees Fahrenheit and the average yearly rainfall is about 50 inches.

The coal field area of Overton County is confined to the southeastern part of the county. The largest area of recoverable coal is on a long spur of the plateau that projects northward out of the main mass between the East and West Fork Obey rivers. It is estimated that approximately 54 square miles of Overton County is underlain by mineable coal. Eleven named coal seams are known to exist in Overton County, but only two of them have known recoverable reserves. The two seams of importance are the Wilder seam and the Sewanee seam.

Overton County contains approximately 12,854,000 tons of known recoverable coal reserves. The Wilder seam contains 12,451,00 tons of recoverable coal in Overton County, and the Sewanee seam contains 403,000 tons of recoverable coal. The Wilder coal is contained in the upper part of the Signal Point shale, underneath the Sewanee conglomerate. The Wilder coal is near the middle of the Fentress formation.

The Sewanee coal is contained in the Whitwell shale. This coal lies above the Sewanee conglomerate. It is typically found 20 to 40 feet above the Wilder coal. All known reserves of the Sewanee coal in Overton County are less than 42 inches in thickness and have not yet been mined on a large scale.

The Tennessee Central Railroad completed a branch from Monterey to Crawford in 1901 and from Crawford to Wilder in 1903. This opened the area up for the shipping of coal and timber. Few roads existed in the area up until this time and none of the streams were suitable for barges. The effects of the railroad were clearly displayed on Overton County's total coal production. Overton County reported 680 tons of coal produced in 1901, 3,447 tons were reported for 1902, and production for 1903 was reported at 84,930 tons. It is not known for sure if the 1901 coal was mined at Obey City, then known as Cliff Springs, or at Crawford.

The Brier Hill Collieries, formerly the Crawford Coal and Iron Company, began operations in 1902 when they opened Mine Number 1 at Crawford. Mine Number 2 opened at Crawford in 1903. The Obey River Coal Company, also known as the Peacock Coal and Coke Company, got started about 1902. In 1905, the Tennessee Central Railroad built a railway bridge to reach a mine on the east side of the East Fork Obey River. As of 1925 those mines had been productive, but no large operations had developed. Mining activities remained mainly in the Crawford area for several years after 1903. The Brier Hill Collieries opened the Laurel Creek Mine in 1909 and the Overton mine opened near Davidson in 1910. The largest mines in Overton County were opened by the Brier Hill Collieries in the Twin City, now Twinton, area about 1919. These mines were named Twin, Laurel, and Baker. The Laurel mine is the one that opened in 1909. The Crawford Mining Company mine near Crawford was also one of the largest mines in Overton County.

The Twin mine of the Brier Hill Collieries contained some of the most productive coal seams ever mined in Overton County. Average thickness was around five feet, and in one room it was six feet. The thinnest coal found in the mines was still four-and-a-half feet thick. The roof of the Twin mines was a sandy shale and locally became a sandstone in spots. This allowed for excellent mining conditions and required few timbers to be set for roof supports. Some of the smaller mines in Overton County in the Wilder seam were Obey City No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, No. 4, the Paul Farmer mines near Obey City, mines on Looper Branch, the Curtis Vaughn Coal Company Mines on Bill Branch, and mines on Little Laurel Creek.

As always, if anyone has any photos or mining information they can share, please contact me. I am always interested in interviewing miners and their families and would like to include all stories and photos possible in the History of Coal Mining in Overton and Fentress Counties book I am writing. Even just a photo, old map, or piece of scrip helps. Contact Jason Duke at 931-823-8616 and please leave a message if there is not an answer. My mailing address is 266 Duke Lane, Livingston, TN 38570. All photos and materials will be returned promptly.



This photo was taken in 1919 across from the entrance to Old Baker – Laurel Creek # 8 mine. The mine was about two miles southeast of Crawford, down in the hollow below Windletown and Tiptown on Big Laurel Creek. Gentry Copeland is at left center. His sister, Doshia Lee Copeland, is at top. His aunt, Nellie Copeland is at top right. His uncle, Herb Copeland, is at right center. His aunt, Noel Copeland, is at bottom left. Brier Hill Colleries ran the Laurel Creek mines. (Photo courtesy of Gentry Copeland)

Maywood Sisco runs a tram motor out of the Twin Mine about 1928, in their heyday. This was taken near the machine shop and the #3 Cuba entrance. Notice the electric trolley wire above the tram. Twin generated electricity until 1932 using the Brier Hill Colleries steam generator. (Photo courtesy of Gentry Copeland)

The Overton / Fentress Mining Chronicles

May 7, 1998By Jason Duke

In order to help gain a better understanding of how the mines in Overton and Fentress County operated, several personal interviews were conducted with Gentry Copeland. Gentry is 83 years old and currently lives in the Alpine area. His career in the mines started in 1934 and lasted until 1968. His experience and knowledge of the area truly qualify him as an expert on Overton County mining. There will be several articles that will recount Gentry's memories of Overton County mining and tell some interesting facts about the area.

Gentry was born and raised in the Crawford area when mining was the key industry. His father worked in the mines for years, including the Brier Hill Collieries mines in the Crawford and Twinton area. Gentry recalls that life in Crawford was centered around the mines and the railroad. The railroad brought life to the area and also brought in the outside world. Gentry reported that "trains hauled heading lumber, handle lumber, shuttle lumber, building lumber, tannin bark, acid wood, coal, and made two passenger runs at from Monterey to Wilder." He was amazed that the trains managed to haul as much as they did and still carry coal as their principal cargo. The railroad also used to run from Twinton up to Cravenstown. At Cravenstown, it became a narrow gauge and went north to Cooktown and then north off of the plateau and down to Riverton on the East Fork Obey River in Fentress County.

Gentry got his start in mining in 1934 by helping Alvin Owens and Lark Gunter at Twinton Old No. 2 mine working in four to five feet of coal. (The reason that mines are being referred to as Old Twin No. 2, etc., is that the Brier Hill Colleries of New York shut down the Twin mines indefinitely in 1932.) They spent the majority of their time converting the mines from car mines to truck mines. When the Brier Hill Collieries shut down, so did electric power. All of the electric power in the mines of the area had been produced by steam generators operated by the Collieries. When the Collieries declared bankruptcy, the electric generators were disassembled and sold. The Tennessee Valley Authority did not supply electric power to this area until after 1946, when the first line was ran from Norris Dam to Wilder. Mining in Overton County suffered through a regression period after the Wilder Strike of 1932-1933. Rising labor costs and falling coal prices shut the Brier Hill Collieries down and crippled the Fentress Coal and Coke Company to the east.

With no electric power in the abandoned mines, a lot of changes had to be made. The former method of extracting coal from the mines had been with tram motors that pulled bottom-dumping cars out of the mines. The bottom would "fall out" of the cars as they passed over the tipple for the collection of the coal and its concurrent loading into railway cars. The absence of electricity necessitated that end-dumping cars be used with the mules that replaced the electric tram motors. The mules were not nearly as fast nor as strong as electric tram motors. The result was decreased production, not only because of the use of mules but also because of the fact that these mines were being reworked and were not new discoveries.

Gentry had his first experiences with "black damp" and "stink damp" in the Old Brier Hill Collieries Twinton No. 2 mine. When old mines were reworked, air problems were common due to poor circulation. Without electricity, the massive fans that once circulated vast amounts of air through the mines were no longer used. "Black damp" involved large amounts of carbon dioxide in the air. After coal was blasted, large amounts of oxygen were depleted from the air and carbon dioxide rushed in to replace it. "Black damp" was capable of killing a man. "Stink damp" also occurred after blasting sometimes. It involved large amounts of sulfur dioxide replacing the oxygen after blasting. The Wilder coal seam is high in sulfur and "stink damp" was a common problem. Good ventilation and more modern blasting techniques helped to eliminate this problem.

From 1941-1947, Gentry served as operator for the Brown and Winningham mines. From 1947-1951, he was the foreman at ABC (Allred, Brown, and Copeland) mines in Monterey. From 1951-1952, he operated the Allred and Brown Coal Company and from 1952-1968, Gentry went out on his own and operated the H. Gentry Copeland Coal Company.

Gentry has experienced nearly everything that can happen in the mines. His main accomplishment is that no one was ever killed in any of the mines he was in charge of. Safety was big to Gentry, and he is thankful that luck often looked his way. A good safety factor was also the stability of the mine's roof. The number of timbers used for roof support was directly proportional to the geologic properties of the rock above the coal. Gentry believes that "you need a timber to bump your head on and one to bump your behind on."

Gentry, like all mine operators in the area, sold five types of coal. They were: block (lump) coal - 6 inch blocks and up, egg coal - 3 to 6 inch blocks of coal, nut coal - 1 ½ to 3 inch blocks of coal, stoker coal - ¾ to 1 ½ inch blocks of coal, and steam coal - ¾ inch and smaller pieces of coal.

The top seller was steam coal, which was desired by industry. The DuPont - Old Hickory, TN plant was a large purchaser of Overton and Fentress County Coal from the 1920's up to 1944. After 1944, DuPont purchased much of its coal from Western Kentucky coal companies. The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) was the primary purchaser of steam coal in the 1950's and 1960's from Gentry. The majority of coal sold to TVA went to Kingston to be burned in the Kingston Steam Plant. As of 1960, the Kingston plant was the largest and one of the most efficient steam plants in the world, and could burn about 4.5 million tons of coal per year. The Widows Creek plant burned about 4 million tons per year and the Watts Bar and Hales Bar plants were also large purchasers of Overton and Fentress County coal. Alcoa Aluminum had a steam plant that helped supply electric power to Oak Ridge in its "secret days" during World War II. Gentry continuously sold 300-500 tons per day to Alcoa during the war. World War II helped to modernize the coal industry once again in the area. Donald P. Nelson, Head War Production Chief, often received calls for assistance from Gentry concerning problems in the mines. Nelson made sure that Gentry had good equipment and even prodded Dempster Dumpster in Knoxville once to get him an underbody hoist on a Jimmy truck for coal hauling. Gentry has many fond memories of mining in Overton County, and it is the author's hope that they are not forgotten and can be appreciated by others.

As always, if anyone has any photos or mining information they can share, please contact me. I am always interested in interviewing miners and their families and would like to include all stories and photos possible in the History of Coal Mining in Overton and Fentress Counties book I am writing. Even just a photo, old map, or piece of scrip helps. Contact Jason Duke at 931-823-8616 and please leave a message if there is not an answer. My mailing address is 266 Duke Lane, Livingston, TN 38570. All photos and materials will be returned promptly.


شاهد الفيديو: نافذة على التاريخ - حرب مقاطعة جونسون 1


تعليقات:

  1. Carrado

    أنا آسف لأنني قاطعتك ، لكن لا يمكنك إعطاء المزيد من المعلومات.

  2. Gard

    إنه مشابه لها.

  3. Kajile

    وذلك نتيجة ..

  4. Tygolmaran

    ولماذا هي حصرية؟ أعتقد لماذا لا تفتح هذا الموضوع.

  5. Yerachmiel

    بالتاكيد. كل ما سبق صحيح. يمكننا التواصل حول هذا الموضوع. هنا أو في PM.

  6. Walter

    إنه لأمر مؤسف ، الآن لا أستطيع التعبير - إنه مضطر للمغادرة. لكنني سأطلق سراحي - سأكتب بالضرورة أفكر في هذا السؤال.

  7. Moogukasa

    هذه الفكرة ستكون مفيدة.



اكتب رسالة